piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Let's face it this is one tough business to be in. And I'm not in the business. I'm just hobbyist. I like to support as much LFS which are not far. I guess that's why we call it local fish store. So I like to start this thread that might help a LFS. I know price and location would help or break LFS. Would LFS with a better selection be important as healthy fish and corals. Would a different variety or better selection of corals. Would a better dry goods selection decide your LFS. Would a friendly greeting be important. Would reading the price of fish help. I think it really depends on where are the hobbyists are. Because I know one place that they prices are triple and people have no trouble spending they money there. But than again no problem if you have a lot of money. So how can we help our LFS....

Last edited:

CoralOfDuty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
there are some LFS id rather NOT help. They would rather delete valid concerns from customers on their threads as opposed to addressing them. so as far as im concerned, i could care less about whether or not this store stays in business. i could also care less what they get in stock. so i guess customer service goes a long way. other stores like pets warehouse, caribbean blue, and even aqua hut have always treated me well throughout the years so good luck those guys. i think this is why certain stores do better than others.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Location and customer service. Although I've been to stores that I only return because I was treated well even if I had to drive further.

Being told they can get me what I want even if it wasn't a big order (that wouldn't make them much money) makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
Also seeing the condition of their tanks and stock can sway me. Understanding sometimes $&@! happens but if it's a chronic occurrence that when I visit their tanks look like garbage and fish/coral look sickly then I'm likely to only get dry goods from them if anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Location, people friendly, courtesy, inventory, availability and price within reason. You can not be a scumbag...

WTBClownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy at Parrots of the World in Rockville Centre. One of the main reasons is that they take trade in and give more then a fair price. Lots of LFS take them only for free. Because I appreciate the fact they take in trade in I buy my fish and supplies from them when I can. Because it is a smaller store I sometimes have to go elsewhere like Total Aquariums for black worms.

Sometimes I would not shop at a store for little things. For example I boycotted Total Aquariums for a while because they sold me the wrong size attachment and wouldn't accept it for return. Once they sold me GFO in a filter bag with large holes. When I got home alol the GFO fell out the bag and they would only give me store credit. Which was fine since I got chemi pure instead but they why he went about it left a bad taste. I am back shopping again.

Last edited:

CORALBEAUTY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Personally, when I walk into a store I like to know that there is someone around for informational purposes or to help be but that there is no pressure to buy. I don't like when employees or owners are continuously look at you are as if they can help. Just let me shop, I know where to find you.

Also, I think price is a big factor. But fair prices at reduced health status of the fish doesn't go a long way. If some local stores in my area would manage their systems just a little better their fish would be in much better shape.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Some suppliers should really work with these brick and mortar stores better. For example I went into a place and needed something that wasn't stocked and they said they could order it for me, be in a few days but it costed significantly more than what I would've paid on Amazon or Marine Depot. Dry goods, equipment period, should be cheaper for a store to buy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: