miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is a cheap eBay Chinese light for the fuge I'm getting from my friend.He's used it for 6mo.Are these submersible lights safe?I think submersible would be good since I have HA growing in racks messing with Frags ....due to the usual macro lighting above(I use a daylight led bulb).

Do these ever crack or leak water in...yikes they run in 120v!

Are magnetic ones attaching to sides of tank good?Pls adviceThanks...
2436_1488054391500-jpeg.485911

Last edited:

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've got one like that but it just uses suction cups I attach to the outside of my biocube fuge. The suction doesn't last though so I may put it inside the tank later. Seems to work fine otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would be cautious with ANY submersible bulb. Considering that one likely doesn't have 'UL approved' label on it, I would come up with a different plan. You only have 1 chance for it to be not working correctly....
Better to find anther way to control your HA. Are you running that daylight bulb for an extensive period of time daily?

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't hold much stock in the "UL Approved" anyway just because it has passed a "general safety inspection" conducted by under paid "inspectors" doesn't mean it's now superior to devices made in other countries. I do agree that caution should be exercised regardless. Of course buying on Amazon I could read people's reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I would be cautious with ANY submersible bulb. Considering that one likely doesn't have 'UL approved' label on it, I would come up with a different plan. You only have 1 chance for it to be not working correctly....
Better to find anther way to control your HA. Are you running that daylight bulb for an extensive period of time daily?

+1000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UL_(safety_organization)

110 V light fix. under water , no UL, no name, no brand, sound NO good.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
True, ul approved adds a layer of confidence, but doesn't make it fail safe.
Whether you go underwater light or not, imo, every tank's power should be supplied by a gfci protected outlet, paired with a ground probe. Takes away the chance for stray voltage which could leave you scratching your head wondering what's wrong with my livestock, and makes the tank safe for you and the inhabitants if something like your under water light, pump, whatever gets wet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: