I have been in and out of this hobby for 4 years now but have never had a tank running for more then 6 months. I have had 3 setups, 2 that were actually completed and 1 I never finished(last setup). I don't know what it is but something keeps pulling me back into this expensive hobby. Any1 else ever have this issue? and if so are you still up and running a system?

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
i think the problem is the hobby is very very addictive. but you have to plan, and really put thought into what you want and how you are going to go about getting what you want and need. most people try to piece together a set up and in the end arent happy how their tank turned out and quit.

my advice is plan it out first. what fish, what coral, how big and how much time do you actually have to put towards the hobby. then put together a list of items and buy the best equipment you can logically afford. this way you dont get tank envy when you see what other people have and you could've had. keep it simple, keep it to 1 tank so you arent constantly doing maintenance or tackling one problem after another, which kills the joy of the hobby.

i guess moral of the story is plan it out first and then go about putting a setup together. not putting a set up together then planning what to do next.
not sure any of this made sense. but good luck !

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've come and gone from the hobby pretty often as my job makes me move every few years. It's always hard to break everything down and then sell it for a fraction of what it cost. That being said, having a community of hobbyists helps when starting over. I'm making plans now for the next time I move to try and keep things going. We'll see if that plan survives first contact though. I've a few years to plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: