vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Kalkwasser in your ato

Better surface water movement

Air line for skimmer from outside

+1, i prefer dosing Kalka on my refuge, i love Deltec Kalk stirrer, only clear water go OUT of reactor.
i run air fan at top of the tank, lots of water flow, i run air fan from outside IN room.
I have CO2 meter, years ago, i got better air on basement (600 ppm) then my bedroom (1200 ppm) i seal the bedroom a way to muck.
New York 450 ppm outside.
My shop 500-550 ppm.
I got 8.2 to 8.3 PH , your PH (8.0) is just fine. Leave the windows open to see if is any change.
http://www.extech.com/display/?id=14398

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
If your corals look fine leave it. 8.0 is not that low. It may raise when the weather changes. Don't dose Kalk if you're not knowledgeable about it. It can crash your tank. Open a window, check alk dose A and B if necessary , raise salinity, extended lighting hours, add refugium and water change will bring it up some.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
8.0 is certainly nothing to worry about, but in a reef tank you will get better colors and growth if you keep between 8.2-8.4

Although it's more important to keep it steady

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Check Magnesium, and Strontium levels. There are some good products out that target specific colors in corals. Basically minerals, traces and amino acids. I think Aquvitor not sure..

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Since my tank is in room with no windows I built a simple diy co2 scrubber out of a Gatorade bottle. Drilled small holes in the bottom of the bottle small enough so the media doesn't fall out and ran a line right to my air intake of the skimmer. The media is cheap enough and color changes so you know when it's time to change. It kept my PH around 8.2.
http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/soda-lime-3-lb-bag/jorgensen-products-anesthesia-products
That's the cheapest I could find the media.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Chasing dif elements to get at why your colors are pink instead of red....you know one reason, your ph is low, and should be pretty easy to fix. Less c02 = higher ph. More water surface movement, more fresh air getting to tank.

If that no worky than a couple of elements worth checking, in term of why your ph is low...
Alkaline and ph work hand in hand. It's not a relationship set in stone but in general as alkaline goes up, so should ph and vise verse.
Another relationship with alk and ph is calcium. When calcium goes up alkaline goes down and vise verse.
Magnesium. With regular water changes, with quality salt, it's prolly not an issue. but macros consume it, and if it's too low alk, and cal will swing around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: