jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
ok so my phosphate is 0 but nitrates r 50ppm wat could it be? I have cheato n 2 8x4 n 2 8x1 marine pure ceramic block I have only 3 fish 2 wrasses n 1 long nose hawk used 2 feed 3x a day but now feed only once bcuz of da rise n nitrates

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Macros/ refugium/ live rock/ marinepur is consuming what it can, and leaving you with what you got.
Live rock will also start to leach out, like a sponge with water, when exposed to hi nitrates for a while
Phosphates are also illusive. Lights go on, phosphates get consumed, you test, and think the phosphates are low

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Check your test results against another test results from a friend or lfs.
Keep up the water changes and before a water change blow off rocks with turkey Baster and mix up the sand a bit.
Put marinepur blocks in as low a flow area as you can. The lower the flow, the more it will consume nitrate

jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I had marine velvet n Ich n my tank couldn't take out da fish n bcuz of all da corals n live Rock so treated wit kick ich n rally took out da marine pure n cheato had then n a bucket wit ro wAter after 4 weeks I went 2 pit da cheato n marine pure block was a odor like rotten egg spoke 2 one of my fellow reefers n he said it was ok 2 pit it bk n da sump just 2 add note out or microbacteris 7 could thus be da reason 4 my nitrates being high

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Trying to follow what you're saying up there and I'm not completely understanding but will add

You should take out half the marinepur and rinse every 6 months or so.

As an example...
You'd think if you do a 20% water change your nitrates will go down 20%. But if rocks and stuff are loaded with nitrates from being in way hi nitrates for a while they will leach out. Keep the nitrates low for long enough and keep doing water changes, and the rocks will stop leaching

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This happen to me just recently. I got it under control by using ESV trace elements. Took about 5 weeks dosing 15 ml. I cut back my feeding. Change DI resin and filters. Make sure skimmer is working good. Esv will break down a lot more waste. Normal weekly WC nitrates are between 5-10 now. Also could of been you destroy good bacteria when you had ick and velvet which effected your cycle causing nitrates go up.
Plus live rock or sand can not bind nitrates. So it can't leach nitrates. Only if something that's dead or declaying organisms.

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Plus live rock or sand can not bind nitrates. So it can't leach nitrates. Only if something that's dead or declaying organisms.
That's a direct quote from Randy Holmes, word for word, and only confusing the conversation. Doesn't matter if it's the rock itself or the decaying matter inside the clogged pours.
Also never heard of how adding trace element removes nitrates, so please do share

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's a direct quote from Randy Holmes, word for word, and only confusing the conversation. Doesn't matter if it's the rock itself or the decaying matter inside the clogged pours.
Also
never heard of how adding trace element removes nitrates, so please do share[/QUOTE
http://www.esvco.com
Ok, let's talk about giving the right information.... You said you added trace elements to reduce nitrates, when in fact the link you posted shows a made up for marketing name of "transition elements". Which is a form of carbon dosing, with some trace elements added. Good idea, since they'd be added regularly, and together, but...as far as for nitrate reduction, bio pellet reactor would be by far more effective form of carbon dosing, because the reactor could/should get fed into the skimmer, which will export the nutrients.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right information is the product works. Plus transition element is using carbon which here they using vitamin C. Now your talking what's more effective. Each system and each person might have a different opinion which products works better for them. Pellets are good but always stripping nitrates which might strip too much causing many systems to crash. Where dosing a carbon source you can control it. I don't know how you can say that when many people had they system crashed on pellets. Either way they both work to get rid of nitrates.

jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Come 2 think of it the Only thing I can think of is when I was treating my tank had no type of filtration no skimmer or reactors no filter socks or marine pure blocks also no cheato I was just feeding I think my mistake was I had the cheato n marine pure in a bucket wit ro no pump so after I was done treating i took da media n cheato n put it bk n da sump it had a funny smell like da nite out bacteria when ur starting a cycle n I just put it n da sump thinking it would. Alright could this b the cause of da nitrate spike?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Come 2 think of it the Only thing I can think of is when I was treating my tank had no type of filtration no skimmer or reactors no filter socks or marine pure blocks also no cheato I was just feeding I think my mistake was I had the cheato n marine pure in a bucket wit ro no pump so after I was done treating i took da media n cheato n put it bk n da sump it had a funny smell like da nite out bacteria when ur starting a cycle n I just put it n da sump thinking it would. Alright could this b the cause of da nitrate spike?

Very possible:(

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Why you did that ?
" I had the cheato n marine pure in a bucket wit ro no pump"
IN RO/DI water ? NO pump ? You kill all bio , dose bacteria and run the Protein Skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: