fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
FYI the grey Brute cans are not safe. They are not safe at all to store anything a human will consume, only garbage. I remember a talk some time ago of a Breeder that was using them to breed clowns (has to be really dark for that one phase). They were having a terrible time rearing them and the ones they did were disfigured. After doing some research they found out the chemicals from the grey Brute can were causing genetic damage to the fry.

White Brute cans are rated to be food and potable water safe. I use "shipping barrels". They are really cheap and almost all of them are FDA rated safe for food and water. I paid about $30 for a 37 gallon container with lid.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
FYI the grey Brute cans are not safe. They are not safe at all to store anything a human will consume, only garbage. I remember a talk some time ago of a Breeder that was using them to breed clowns (has to be really dark for that one phase). They were having a terrible time rearing them and the ones they did were disfigured. After doing some research they found out the chemicals from the grey Brute can were causing genetic damage to the fry.

White Brute cans are rated to be food and potable water safe. I use "shipping barrels". They are really cheap and almost all of them are FDA rated safe for food and water. I paid about $30 for a 37 gallon container with lid.

Meets NSF 2, 21 approval and USDA meat and poultry group listed, ensuring regulatory compliance for food storage and clean ability

That ^ was copied and pasted from Rubbermaid, who makes the brute cans. Right from the can's specs.
Have used them for years without issue. Everyone, including most lfs use them. They're like a staple in the hobby.

rjl09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a brute 20 or 25 gallon(something in that range, i forgot) rubbermaid for over a year, i even leave the new water mixed there for a day or two. i've had no issues with so far. I definitely recommend

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
fyi the grey brute cans are not safe. They are not safe at all to store anything a human will consume, only garbage. I remember a talk some time ago of a breeder that was using them to breed clowns (has to be really dark for that one phase). They were having a terrible time rearing them and the ones they did were disfigured. After doing some research they found out the chemicals from the grey brute can were causing genetic damage to the fry.

White brute cans are rated to be food and potable water safe. I use "shipping barrels". They are really cheap and almost all of them are fda rated safe for food and water. I paid about $30 for a 37 gallon container with lid.
+1.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You guys are crazy
Rubbermaid uses no bpa in any of their products, period. They used to, years ago, on some of their clear stuff. Don't believe me, go to their website, find out for yourself. Their brute trash cans are all made from the same plastic, regardless of color or wether or not they have air ribs so getting trash bags out is easier.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have been using the gray Brute cans for years with no issues, a 44 gallon and a 32 gallon. When I purchased them I did check the recycling # and they were deemed safe to use. However, if buying a different color eases your mind then have at it. You can order them off of Amazon and have them delivered to your door in 2 days assuming you are a Prime member.

They are great. Cheap, durable, can be drilled to install any number of fittings, and a separate dolly with casters can be added for mobility.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
None of rubbermaid's products contain bpa, and there is no difference in the plastics that make their white, grey, or yellow garbage cans. They are all food safe, and usda, fda, eu, and nsf approved.
This was taken right from the Rubbermaid website about the gray trash cans...
Also a favorite in the food industry for food storage.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: