redwhiteandink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hello so I have a Nuvo 16 and I believe this is detritus but I'm unsure I want some help on how to remove it. I have an MJ-900 coming from the dual power head which turns the tank over 14x can someone help also my phosphate is reading 0.0-0.3 according to salifert what more can I do, can I replace the sand bed?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
How old is the tank? What is your nitrate reading?
Looks like diatom algae and possibly some cyano.
The MJ powehead alone is not enough flow. You should add an addition powerhead to the tank like an mp10 or something similar. I don't believe flow is the issue though.

redwhiteandink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Tank is around 1 year old, and it all started when I added a new rock with palys and zoas on it in going to buy salifert nitrate today I only have phosphate left

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
It is very hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like it could be the same thing that is exploding in my tank-- Forams. They are very tiny sand grain sized organisms that will in fact create foram sand that is grey in color. Do you see the same stuff on the new rock you introduced? Forams are always present and generally harmless and unnoticed, but in my tank for reasons unknown they have exploded into an inch thick bed in some areas of the tank. Can you get a better pic ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: