Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Anyone using Blues only? Referring to users of Radions, Kessil and other Led's. What are the results in terms of coral color and growth. And which corals do better under the blues? Iv'e been to the ocean many times so i know corals thrive in the blue wave lengths but a tank with many species of corals is a different story.Your thoughts..

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Many vendors and store owners run blues only. I'm %100 sure a huge part of the reason is a marketing strategy. However some corals would adapt to the blue spectrum but probably wouldn't grow fast.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Think lfs might run blues only simply to make things pop. Also think it's great that ppl experiment. That's how we learn. But when all is said and done all corals are different. Some can adapt better and faster than others, and some not at all. The deeper in the ocean a given coral thrives, the more likely it is to do well with blue only. In the ocean some corals grow near the shore and surface so they obviously need more whitish light. Then there's the what corals can grow near other corals, and different nutrients at different depths, flow, etc., so ....
Gotta love that ppl are willing to experiment and share their knowledge. It's one of the big draws about this hobby

RFlagg

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have 2 Kessil a360s over a 40 shallow (Softy dominated) and color setting do not go pass 10%, I top off the intensity at 90%. I have not had any coral color issues that I can confidently say was because of the lighting. I am pretty sure the color loss i experienced w/ some of my leathers was because of the salt I was using and not the light parameters. When I switched salt the colors have come back.

I also have not seen any color issues w/ the few lps I have. The only sps I ever had in the tank where non acro types but they were probably affected by the salt as well.

When i did some research on how people were setting their Kessils, there was a good number who set to mostly blue. I cannot speak of growth, but it seems my palau nepthea does not care as it grows like weed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: