Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, I live in Southern Brooklyn (Marine Park) and I've noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I make up roughly 45 gallons of RODI a week and both production and filter lifespan has been the same as it has for the last year or so. We are all using the same feed water, perhaps it something much more local or as was mentioned something with the brand of filter being used.

I'm using the BRS and I get about 50 PSI to the membrane. My feed water is usually around 9 TDS and is 0 on the output. This has been true for more than the last decade. You city guys might be getting water through some really nasty pipes which could be causing some of your issues.

I'm in Sheepshead Bay

MaraMotts

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Most of the mains have been replaced by now, post sandy. i am also in south Brooklyn and my feed water currently is 49-40 last year around June there was spike and my tds went as high as 165. i use a 3 line meter and my second line reading pre membrane to monitor filter changes (6 months) my membrane lasts 18-24 months and i also use a booster pump for a psi of 90.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It's not only the water source and the main line going down the street. It's also the line coming to your house, and everything inside the house. As well if you're the lowest house on the block, or if the main line going down the street is lowest near your house, then the sediment settles closer to you and makes it into your house, where your neighbors right down the block if higher will have much less crap making it into their house.
If your ro/di is set up and maintained properly your membrane should last years. Especially if you have a flow restrictor with a flush valve on it. My tds coming into house is around 180, and my 75gpd membrane lasted 5+ years.

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Something definitely is up in NYC because 3 weeks back I changed the pre filter and both carbon blocks and today all are clogged. I replaced them all again and back to normal 65psi. I cannot be spending all this money on all cartridges once a month.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The recommend "best" range for tds in drinking water is 30-40. So aside from fluoride, nyc is about as good as it gets. I know fluoride is good for teeth, but not good for the rest of you, and is actually a by product from the fertilizer industry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: