ghenzler23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm considering buying an aipstasia laser, do they prevent aipstasia from regrowing? I currently use Aipstasia X and every time I use it, more aipstasia pops up in places where it wasn't before (after I use it).

I've done research and I read that aipstasia releases "baby aipstasia" by the hundreds, before it dies. Just curious if the laser prevents that. If it doesn't, how can I permanently get rid of aipstasia? Without buying filefish.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are the best. Unless they start eating other corals. I've even caught wild ones that never bothered my other corals or inverts but eliminated aiptasia. Lasers sound cool though... I'd like a peppermint shrimp with a laser mounted on its head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
The only two things that worked for me were the file fish and a copperband butterfly. Once the filefish did the majority of the job I sold him and the copperband I kept to keep them at bay.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mqur1963

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got same problem cooper band and file they are nice and eat every thing except aiptsia and I put over 16 peppermint shrimp still no luck and shrimps are from 2 different sellers.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
The only two things that worked for me were the file fish and a copperband butterfly. Once the filefish did the majority of the job I sold him and the copperband I kept to keep them at bay.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

copperband butterfly fish, do fantastic job, better then anything, i try peppermint shrimp , i got 12 ,zero result, laser (i think have to be real powerful) i grow some Aipstasia just to make him happy. Is 4" up. one of my favor fish.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not all copperbands , file fish, or peppermint eat Aptasia. Filefish are the safest bet, but they may eat zoas too. Copper bands usually eat them, but not always, and they may nip at corals too. Aquarium village has captive bred peppermint shrimp that I have never seen not eat aptasia

Let's not forget nudibranch, which are slow eaters, and almost always eat them, and almost always die after they're gone

Once had a poters angel that ate them, who knew

Lasers, if powerful enough could work, and could be enjoyable if you're into that sorta thing. But you'd never get them all, simply because you could only kill those you could see and get a clear shot at. Therefore they'd just keep coming back, so why bother.

Last edited:

tboneman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
One more thing you could do is after you have waited 20 minutes or so for the Aipstasia X to do it's work, take a turkey baster and vacuum up all the paste/powder you can and squirt it into a container. This will suck out a lot of the leftover aipstasia out of the tank and prevent it from growing back. I've had good luck with this and peppermint shrimp in combination.

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I own a laser that I purchased for the removal of aptasia. The laser definitely works. You can hear the aptasia sizzle through the water and glass. However, unless you keep frying them until they are completely gone, they will heal and grow back. Additionally, I found that there were some that I just could not hit at the right angle for the laser. BERGHIA Nudibranchs are the way to go. The cost seems high for these little tiny creatures, but all they eat is aptasia. In about a month they completely rid my tank of all aptasia.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: