bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Update 4/25/17
Started 4/11/17 and all bryopsis has been eradicated. I wanted to leave all the equipment off for another 2 weeks but i dont think my tank can handle it. I lost my favorite sohal tang out of nowhere that has been with me for over a year healthy and eating so i dont know what happened. my feeling is it could be the uv sterilizer that has been off which really keeps parasites at bay. before my uv i was getting all sorts of fish issues so that is the only thing i can pin it on and mabe the dirtier water with no WC or skimmer. Today i will have to start up the skimmer, auto wc, clean filter floss and put filter socks back in cause theres no way i can get to the big sohal that died within the rockwork thats decomposing. I hope these 2 weeks were enough to keep the bryopsis out for good. if not ill have to go to round two sometime i hope not in the future.

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just did my first water change and brought my reactors & skimmer back on-line on Sunday, after a 21-day Fluconazole treatment. This stuff definitely works. I would say 99% of my bryopsis is gone. I noticed that the bryopsis the was growing in more shaded areas was the most resistant. So the more brightly lit the area, the quicker the bryopsis disappeared. Nothing else seems to be affected at all. Just my 2 cents.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Today I noticed a small area with cyanobacteria red slime algae. This is definitely because of the poor water conditions in the tank and the death of my large sohal. Brought everything online today and changed all filter media. Hopefully that will keep it from spreading.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
dal i would say feed sparingly since you wont be doing water changers and the skimmer will be off. i fed only what the fish eat mid air so nothing goes to the rocks. nothing to worry about as long as you followed directions correctly. Remember 20mg per gallon of water in your entire system. ill post some faq from what ive seen.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
sal,
i would say feed sparingly since you wont be doing water changers and the skimmer will be off. i fed only what the fish eat mid air so nothing goes to the rocks. nothing to worry about as long as you followed directions correctly. Remember 20mg per gallon of water in your entire system. ill post some faq from what ive seen.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Bryopsis Cure FAQ's Sheet

This treatment seems to work best in well lit areas of the tank. Some people are noticing quicker results by adding light to the shaded areas of their tank.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill Bryopsis?
A: YES. As of 2/2/17 Fluconazole is completely killing all Bryopsis. There have been no reports of it NOT working.

Q: How does Fluconazole work?
A: Fluconazole blocks the enzymatic pathway for the production of ergosterol. Ergosterol is essential for maintaining the cell wall integrity of plants. Ergosterol (ergosta-5,7,22-trien-3?-ol) is a sterol found in cell membranes of fungi and protozoa, serving many of the same functions that cholesterol serves in animal cells.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill anything else in my system?
A: So far Fluconazole has not killed anything other than bryopsis and GHA. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING else is unaffected.

Q: Where do I get Fluconazole?
A: There are many sources online. The most popular/best choice is to purchase the medication in 200MG CAPSULE.

Q: How much Fluconazole do I use?
A: The suggested dose is one SINGLE dose in the amount of 20mg per gallon of water. There are reefers who are experimenting with using 10mg per gallon right now, but none with completing the 1st "round".

Q: Do I do a WC before treatment?
A: Yes. It would be a good idea as the treatment is for 14 days and expect an increase in NO3.

Q: How do I prepare the the medication?
A: I have noticed with the capsules it is very tough opening them without crushing the capsule. This is what I did. Use a razor blade and cut off the rounded end of the large outer half of the capsule. Then you can very easily pour the contents out into a glass of RODI water or tank water. The amount of water doesnt matter, but make it enough to be able to mix the med up. The med isnt very soluble, but mix it up best you can. Preferably dose at night when fish are asleep. Then pour the entire dose into the DT, or sump. Some have put it into their sump socks. I dosed directly into the DT.

Q: How long is the treatment?
A: 14 days.Maybe up to 21 days if you still have GHA present in the tank.

Q: Do I remove my carbon?
A: Yes.

Q: Do I remove my skimmer cup?
A: Its suggested for at least the first few days if not the entire treatment remove your cup. If you pull your cup you may continue to run the skimmer, or turn the skimmer down as to not allow the skim to enter the cup. You do not want to remove the med.

Q: Do I take my ATS offline?
A: Yes. Completely sanitize it, and reintroduce it after all the bryopsis is 100% gone.

Q: Do I take my bio reactor offline?
A: No.

Q: Do I take my GFO offline?
A: No GFO will not remove the meds.It will also help to remove the po4 from dying algae.

Q: Do I continue to dose H2O2?
A: Yes. It will not interact with this med.

Q: Do I continue to dose Vibrant?
A: Yes. This SHOULD not interact this med. It may help to dose Vibrant as it will assist in NO3 export.

Q: Do I continue to dose colors, alk, calcium, and magnesium?

Q: Should I change my lighting?

Q: If I take my carbon reactor, or any other equipment off line/out of the tank, do I just put them back into the system after treatment?
A: No. Do not reintroduce the algae. It would be best to sterilize any equipment and throw away old media for reactors.

Q: Is it ok to take out my chaeto, or other algae's then put back after treatment?
A: No. this may reintroduce the algae. Leave the macros in the tank.

Q: Do I take my carbon reactor offline?

Q:Should I stop using Purigen during treatment?
A:Yes.

Q: Do I take my UV Sterilizer offline?

Q: Do I do a WC during treatment?
A: No. Unless it cannot be avoided and a WC needs to be done to save life.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill my chaetomorpha or other beneficial maco's?
A: The treatment has not harmed any macro algae.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill the parasitic algae known to burrow through LPS corals?
A: This is currently being researched.

Q: What other nuisance algae's will be killed by Fluconazole?
A: Fluconazole kills the green algae Derbesia also known as GHA. It seems that GHA takes longer to kill than the bryopsis but it still dies. Bubble algae is unknown due to most reefers treating their tanks have been using Vibrant. Vibrant kills bubble algae very well.

Q: When do I do a WC?
A: At the end of the full 14 day treatment. After treatment has completed you will go back to your normal running system. Do a WC as your NO3/PO4 levels may be high from a lot of dead algae. Carbon goes back online to remove the medication. Skimmer cups back on.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Bryopsis Cure FAQ's Sheet

This treatment seems to work best in well lit areas of the tank. Some people are noticing quicker results by adding light to the shaded areas of their tank.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill Bryopsis?
A: YES. As of 2/2/17 Fluconazole is completely killing all Bryopsis. There have been no reports of it NOT working.

Q: How does Fluconazole work?
A: Fluconazole blocks the enzymatic pathway for the production of ergosterol. Ergosterol is essential for maintaining the cell wall integrity of plants. Ergosterol (ergosta-5,7,22-trien-3?-ol) is a sterol found in cell membranes of fungi and protozoa, serving many of the same functions that cholesterol serves in animal cells.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill anything else in my system?
A: So far Fluconazole has not killed anything other than bryopsis and GHA. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING else is unaffected.

Q: Where do I get Fluconazole?
A: There are many sources online. The most popular/best choice is to purchase the medication in 200MG CAPSULE.

Q: How much Fluconazole do I use?
A: The suggested dose is one SINGLE dose in the amount of 20mg per gallon of water. There are reefers who are experimenting with using 10mg per gallon right now, but none with completing the 1st "round".

Q: Do I do a WC before treatment?
A: Yes. It would be a good idea as the treatment is for 14 days and expect an increase in NO3.

Q: How do I prepare the the medication?
A: I have noticed with the capsules it is very tough opening them without crushing the capsule. This is what I did. Use a razor blade and cut off the rounded end of the large outer half of the capsule. Then you can very easily pour the contents out into a glass of RODI water or tank water. The amount of water doesnt matter, but make it enough to be able to mix the med up. The med isnt very soluble, but mix it up best you can. Preferably dose at night when fish are asleep. Then pour the entire dose into the DT, or sump. Some have put it into their sump socks. I dosed directly into the DT.

Q: How long is the treatment?
A: 14 days.Maybe up to 21 days if you still have GHA present in the tank.

Q: Do I remove my carbon?

Q: Do I remove my skimmer cup?
A: Its suggested for at least the first few days if not the entire treatment remove your cup. If you pull your cup you may continue to run the skimmer, or turn the skimmer down as to not allow the skim to enter the cup. You do not want to remove the med.

Q: Do I take my ATS offline?
A: Yes. Completely sanitize it, and reintroduce it after all the bryopsis is 100% gone.

Q: Do I take my bio reactor offline?

Q: Do I take my GFO offline?
A: No GFO will not remove the meds.It will also help to remove the po4 from dying algae.

Q: Do I continue to dose H2O2?
A: Yes. It will not interact with this med.

Q: Do I continue to dose Vibrant?
A: Yes. This SHOULD not interact this med. It may help to dose Vibrant as it will assist in NO3 export.

Q: Do I continue to dose colors, alk, calcium, and magnesium?

Q: Should I change my lighting?

Q: If I take my carbon reactor, or any other equipment off line/out of the tank, do I just put them back into the system after treatment?
A: No. Do not reintroduce the algae. It would be best to sterilize any equipment and throw away old media for reactors.

Q: Is it ok to take out my chaeto, or other algae's then put back after treatment?
A: No. this may reintroduce the algae. Leave the macros in the tank.

Q: Do I take my carbon reactor offline?

Q:Should I stop using Purigen during treatment?
A:Yes.

Q: Do I take my UV Sterilizer offline?

Q: Do I do a WC during treatment?
A: No. Unless it cannot be avoided and a WC needs to be done to save life.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill my chaetomorpha or other beneficial maco's?
A: The treatment has not harmed any macro algae.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill the parasitic algae known to burrow through LPS corals?
A: This is currently being researched.

Q: What other nuisance algae's will be killed by Fluconazole?
A: Fluconazole kills the green algae Derbesia also known as GHA. It seems that GHA takes longer to kill than the bryopsis but it still dies. Bubble algae is unknown due to most reefers treating their tanks have been using Vibrant. Vibrant kills bubble algae very well.

Q: When do I do a WC?
A: At the end of the full 14 day treatment. After treatment has completed you will go back to your normal running system. Do a WC as your NO3/PO4 levels may be high from a lot of dead algae. Carbon goes back online to remove the medication. Skimmer cups back on.

nano

don't fear the reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great Q&A, bklynreef.

As a note, since this is mainly available in 200mg capsules, and dosing seems to be somewhat forgiving, the recommended dosage I gleaned from the other threads is 1 capsule per 6-10 gallons of water in the system.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
i left my granular ferric oxide reactor online and you will need to leave it on to keep your PO4 levels low while the other equipment is offline. keep an eye on you alk cal and mag during this time as they can fluctuate a bit.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I took mine out but it should soak through I would think but then don't take them out till the end process. I did leave a filter pad in the overflow just to catch large pieces of anything but it shouldn't have hindered anything.

Juano908

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I took mine out but it should soak through I would think but then don't take them out till the end process. I did leave a filter pad in the overflow just to catch large pieces of anything but it shouldn't have hindered anything.

Got it, the reason I asked is cause I did one dose already and noticed there was a lot of foam in the filter sock so I thought that it could be taking the medication out just like the protein skimmer.
On a side note, I made the mistake of blasting the dying algae with a turkey baster on day 5 and that messed up the process and now the bryopsis is worse.....I'm planning on dose again this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: