waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So this thing ate one of the heads on my frogspawn. It started to eat another one and I pulled it off. It then grew back 2 days later and started up again.

I've kept reefs for 20 years and have no idea what it is. It looks like a sponge, or a worm with crushed coral sticking to it. The transparent tube runs down the length of the coral's hard skeleton. I pulled about 3 inches off of it, and 2 days later it had grown back.

The tube seems empty, I haven't seen anything inside it.

Anyone know what it is?!

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 184

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It looks like a sponge, but it grows with a very specific intent. It's not just growing over the coral, it is eating the coral. It ate one head, then moved over to another head and started eating that one. It looks like it attaches to the mouth of the coral.

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Why don't you kill it sir, if it has bad intentions?

I live in DC and contacted the Baltimore aquarium on the off chance someone there might be able to ID it and if they can't, they may want check it out.

The coral head is pretty much dead, so I am observing this monster right now. It's fascinating, so don't want to kill it. The only way to kill it is to toss the coral head. I ripped off 3 inches of it a few days back and it regrew quickly.

nellynel21

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The clear tube is the bridge that the worm built . They come out to eat on the night time .
What you have is a species of Lysidice, a genus in the family Eunicidae. The well-known palolo worm of Samoa belongs to this genus.
If you dont try catching it ,,he will keep eating all your corals and it wont be FASCINATING to watch

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
The clear tube is the bridge that the worm built . They come out to eat on the night time .
What you have is a species of Lysidice, a genus in the family Eunicidae. The well-known palolo worm of Samoa belongs to this genus.
If you dont try catching it ,,he will keep eating all your corals and it wont be FASCINATING to watch[/QUOT]

I can understand that, interesting...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: