Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
MR,

I have never ran into this problem before.. As I have usually gone from a big tank to a small tank. However, I do not have a RODI readily available and I am upgrading from a 36g to a 60g. My question is, where can I find another 30g of reef ready water? I have to transfer within a few hours so I don't have much time. I am going to take the 36g from my tank, seed the bottom of the new tank with the live sand and live rock from my already established tank. Can I buy reef water or should I buy nutrisea seawater. if so, who can give me the best price? Thanks !

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
The apartment I am in I don't have any space for a rodi unfortunately. If I buy reef ready water from an LFS it is already up to temp. My problem is the tank I am putting up is going in the same spot the tank I have currently running.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I just did this, a couple times.
I bought / borroed a largr tub to hold the fish / coral for a day. Emptied enough to slide the old tank over.

I actually went to dollar store once and bought a plastic trash can, used it to store everything overnight then returned it next day.

Mixed water in tank, you can get at lfs, probably not at temp.

I have lived and still live in an apartment and have no issues with rodi. Get a quick disconnect for you bathroom sink. Trust me will save you ton of cash and worry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
True. Appreciate the advice. I have a 10g rimless tank I can throw some of my livestock in for the transfer. I sold everything except my two gobies/shrimp and two nems.

johnsonpics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey Reef Lover 24,

Sorry, that sounds a little creepy. Haha! I moved my 34g twice last year in the city, once even on a cold December day. The best pieces of advice I can give are;

1) Ask people for help. It's a pain in the ***, and not everyone has extra buckets and heaters on hand.
2) Lots of cheap 5gal buckets with locking lids from Home Depot. Well worth it to transport all your existing water, rocks and livestock. I even returned a few after a good rinse after use.
3) Have all the extra water you'll need already at the new apartment. Hopefully up to proper temperature. That's where 1 and 2 come in handy.
4) Every time I've moved my tank (3 times now) I got fresh live sand. Trust me, your water parameters will be a nightmare after stirring up all the crap that has settled in your existing sand.
5) As Chefjpaul said, I also live in a very small NYC apartment and I have a great little Aquatic Life RODI setup under my sink. My wife barely even knows it's there.

Good luck and don't forget to make a well thought out game plan, and stick to it!

johnsonpics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I now realize I didn't actually try and answer your question.

I'd say try and find someone to make you some water near your new place. Probably cheaper than buying pre-mixed water. Where are ya moving to?

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Water

I now realize I didn't actually try and answer your question.

I'd say try and find someone to make you some water near your new place. Probably cheaper than buying pre-mixed water. Where are ya moving to?

All good man you still gave a knowledgeable answer from experience. and 11783, Seaford long island.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: