Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Reefer Ratings: (7 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Tank raised blue tang

Hi everyone
So my lfs got some 2in blue hippo tangs that are tank raised. Was wondering wether these are hardier then wild caught since they are so susceptible to ich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Im sure this topic can be debated, but in my opinion i would say they are just as susceptible to ick. If they truly were tank raised that should mean they were taken from the wild at snaller sizes and grow up in a captive environment. Imo, these fish should be more inclinded to eat commercial preparations of food than a fish right out of the ocean so because of that may be a little more resistant as they should be well nourished.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Agreed. Except most tangs usually take to all types of food, np. And arguably it weakens their immune system because they had limited or no exposure to Ich. And if they were raised in cooper, they probably have organ damage
Old 05-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (89%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
Agreed. Except most tangs usually take to all types of food, np. And arguably it weakens their immune system because they had limited or no exposure to Ich. And if they were raised in cooper, they probably have organ damage

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Reefer Ratings: (7 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Thanks for your input guys I've had many types of tangs but never a blue hippo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk