da2145r

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
My cousin selling a chevron tang for a great price if I get him will there be aggression between him and my purple tang which is much bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yes, almost certainly. Much better chance if the chevron is established first. Maybe get the purple tang out til the chevron gets established. Still might not work. The bigger the tank and the more distractions, the better

Last edited:

da2145r

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Yes, almost certainly. Much better chance if the chevron is established first. Maybe get the purple tang out til the chevron gets established. Still might not work. The bigger the tank and the more distractions, the better

Will it be temporary aggression till the chevron gets established or constant the chevron is about 2.5in my purple tang is about 4-5in

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Unless it's a very small tank it's not impossible and most of the problem will most likely be in the beginning when you first place the Chevron into the tank. What you want to do is get a container and place the Chevron inside it and then put it in the tank. This will give both tangs time to get use to each other. You can get one of those small reptile tanks, which has a lid that you can open and feed the fish without taking off the top.

JuanSalgado

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
54   6   0
Honestly your PURPLE TANG will DESTROY the Chevron Tang.
Purple tangs are beautiful fish but extremely aggressive.
I have a 265 gallon and I believe that's not a big enough tank for the aggressive nature of a Purple Tang when it finds a fish it starts to pick on.
The Purple Tang is a very bond fish and will attack the Chevron Tang I believe and if it does picks on your Chevron Tang eventually the Chevron will get stress and stop eating and it's all downhill from there and that will be such a waste of a beautiful fish.
Don't get me wrong others in the hobby are able to get certain fish together that others or I can't get together in 1 system but I don't think it's worth the risk especially with such a beautiful fish like the Chevron Tang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Honestly your PURPLE TANG will DESTROY the Chevron Tang.
Purple tangs are beautiful fish but extremely aggressive.
I have a 265 gallon and I believe that's not a big enough tank for the aggressive nature of a Purple Tang when it finds a fish it starts to pick on.
The Purple Tang is a very bond fish and will attack the Chevron Tang I believe and if it does picks on your Chevron Tang eventually the Chevron will get stress and stop eating and it's all downhill from there and that will be such a waste of a beautiful fish.
Don't get me wrong others in the hobby are able to get certain fish together that others or I can't get together in 1 system but I don't think it's worth the risk especially with such a beautiful fish like the Chevron Tang.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed. Have purple tang in my 220 that imo is on the passive side as far as purple tangs go. Once it was established no matter what new fish goes in he goes bat crazy. Sometimes for days, sometimes for weeks. If it's the same type fish, tang, same shape, I would guess it would end badly. Maybe if you put in a bunch of new tangs at once, at least the aggression will be spread around. Or maybe if you had a bunch of tangs in there already they'd just chill. Have seen this with cichlids. So many people thin out the population to keep aggression down, but if the tank is big enough, and the population gets big enough, eventually the aggression stops for the most part, and they just swim around.
Much better chance with a tang of a dif shape. Like Naso, hippo, or the likes
My .02

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Will add that I like to push the boundaries, the norms, the "rules". Have paired many fish that are supposed to be a no go. In this case I would be more than surprised if it works, and would like for you to keep us updated if it does.

mtxguy8

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Da2145R. it will work 90% if you follow what someone already said get a plastic container from Walmart I drilled holes and place the chevron inside the container and leave it in the tank for a least 3 to 4 days. place it in the middle so that purple and all the fish has to swim thru and get used to it. done it over 10,000 times I deal with fish on a daily basis. then again 90% of the time will work. also when you release it will be maybe some aggression, which is normal wha I do is stay there as don king, and when the purple goes at it deflect it with a bit of food so that purple tang now sees that his food share is not compromise by the new fish. remember fish sees is my habitat and my food thats what is in their mind. now you have to tackle that.

da2145r

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Da2145R. it will work 90% if you follow what someone already said get a plastic container from Walmart I drilled holes and place the chevron inside the container and leave it in the tank for a least 3 to 4 days. place it in the middle so that purple and all the fish has to swim thru and get used to it. done it over 10,000 times I deal with fish on a daily basis. then again 90% of the time will work. also when you release it will be maybe some aggression, which is normal wha I do is stay there as don king, and when the purple goes at it deflect it with a bit of food so that purple tang now sees that his food share is not compromise by the new fish. remember fish sees is my habitat and my food thats what is in their mind. now you have to tackle that.

Thanks man

mqur1963

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well depend on size of tank mine is 300dd I have 6 yellow tang and 2 large purple tang 7 in and 5 inch they are busy them self when I introduce 2 month ago my chevron tang 2.5 inch it was hiding now she is out eating and has grown in size if lots of rock and large tank I do not see problem

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have an Achilles 3", Purple Tang 4", in a 120g.
After a year I added 3 additional smaller tangs (1" each), a Sailfin, Hippo, and Yellow tang. They are all doing fine.
Surprisingly, the only bullying is from the lighting maroon clown who is bullying the hippo tang. The maroon mysteriously lost its mate after 6 months. Whichever one I can catch first will have to go.

I think size of fish and timing matters as well. And because I added 3 small tangs, the initial aggression was not as bad or was thwarted (I really didn't observed any aggression between the tangs).

PS. The purple tang was the first Tang in the tank and by itself for at least 4 months. Then I added the Achilles, that was a very scary moment...many sleepless days checking and observing.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mqur1963

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well I forgot to mention I have 4 gold rim 1 Achilles 2 powder blue 6 yellow tang 2 purple tang 2 nasal tang shoal and clown tang hippo tang orange shoulder no issues I n 300 gal with 12 different clown fish

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
You have a sohal and a clown and you have no aggression in your tank? If so I'm extremely impressed. You must post a picture. Would love to see your tank and all those tangs together in harmony

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: