Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey everyone, Ive been taking a break from fish tank keeping hobby for a few months now, while I deal with personal stuff so can't really deal with the maintenance of a reef tank now. However that reef bug keeps itching my leg lol. I figure I try to do as much research as possible before getting back into the hobby, If I do get back into the hobby, I don't want to do any short cuts well at least for the most part. My most recent tank was 150 Gallon tank, which was mainly FOWLR however in the long run I couldn't keep up with the water changes, especially couldn't provide RODI water for reef tanks. However Im thinking of going nano size if I get back into reef keeping. I know that the smaller the tank apparently the more difficult it is to take care of it.

So long story short, trying to figure out how small is too small and I do know bigger is always better. Im thinking if I go back to reef nothing more than 65 gallons max however I do want to stay as small as possible lol. So to start off looking for some of the best tank kits with built in overflow on the back? Any recommendations? Honestly only care about filtration as I will upgrade the lights to Kessil no matter what. However, if it proves that most all in one tanks have to many flaws than will look into a smaller tank with build in overflow and a custom sump underneath. However want to try to find behind the tank overflows first. Appreciate the help

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
So do you want AIO without sump or are you ok with sump? The Red Sea Reefers are really nice if you don't mind sump. They also come standard just tank, stand sump or deluxe with custom light brackets and AI Hydra 26HD's. Smaller is "harder" because small changes in parameters have more drastic impact but... its easier to do water changes and keep things stable through water changes.

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey well, nano tank wise I was thinking the tanks that have built in sumps behind the tank. As for complete tank kits like tank/stand/sump/lights and so on figure was too much of a waste since more than likely I will be upgrading the lights and more often than not sumps included with tanks could be customized better.

So I guess I could look into both, but was primarily focusing on tanks like innovative marine, that offer tank with built in sump on back.

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
The IM tanks are really nice the only thing with 'AIO' style with filtration built into the back is that you are often stuck with the equipment that comes with it or limited selection. However like I said for smaller dimensions is easier to use water changes to keep parameters in check.

As for the systems that include sumps there are not too many. The Red Sea systems do come with sumps and ATO containers. The sumps are laid out nice but on the 250 and up models do not take up the entire stand so could be bigger but leaves room for chiller or other equipment inside the stand. Also the ATO container is good for a couple of days but often people either 'mod' these to be refugiums or simply upgrade to something bigger.

Another option that is new on the market and am hoping to get one soon to preview is the following: https://www.aquatop.com/collections...nano-tank-w-protein-skimmer-stand-black-brown

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks for your input that tank looks interesting, wonder if any members have it yet. Im somewhat leaning towards a small tank with a built in sump back because than in the stand I can put supplies as well as set up a quarantine tank. If I get a tank with out a built in filtration on the back I personally prefer to have a huge sump in the stand however that wouldn't leave room for a quarantine tank.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I own a Red Sea max 250. It's 65 gallon AIO plug and play. Super simple with no sump. Comes with everything. I only upgraded the skimmer for personal preference. Comes with stand.

This tank needs nothing but water changes and emptying skimmer cup.
4983fe06b3b405a324fc341e4c34a7b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always would go for a Red Sea Set Up, That and or One of those Bio Cubes, But IMHO, I will always go for a red sea set up, Pricey but VERY Beautiful. Or, You can go with a 64.4 Gallon Low Iron Rimless, And start slow with a set up, The tank alone is on sale for $500.00 with a added 1k, which will total up to $1,500 which is roughly still cheaper than The Red Sea 350, which is 73 Gallons. At Max, 1,500 more, Which is total 2k, still less expensive than buying a total full kit. I am always open for customization and always think it's better than buying a set up pre set build.:scratch:

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks everyone I will look into the set ups mentioned so far Red Sea seems popular, If I do jump back into reef I don plan on not taking any short cuts. How ever Im still deciding on size Im somewhat still debating on going smaller. Maybe a tank with similar dimensions 24x24xx30 or something like that. I kind of had my mind set to try a small reef tank, bigger tanks make me want to lean back to predator fish like always like to do. So a smaller tank would entice me to stick with more reef friendly fish as well as have me focus more on corals. Im still doing research as I defiantly want to put at 1-2k to the side for this project and not just buy stuff piece by piece.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: