nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
so i got a metal tank stand, at the top there is a lip where u can put plywood and then the tank it self, some corners where the plywood sits are uneven, i have read all over and people say not to shim, below the tank or underneath the plywood*, some people say just throw on a plywood and let it level out by it self. i have much interest to hear what you guys think or what has worked for you when your fish stand top is unleveled.
any experts in the area in coney island :)
headache. this is a 40 gallon 24x 19x 19 dims.
:thrash:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Do you know if the stand is actually uneven or if the plywood you are trying to use is warped?

Pictures may also help people understand a little better what you are talking about as well as I am having some difficulty picturing said lip. I know the metal stand I had for my old 90 gallon was designed to have the tank sit right on top of it without any plywood.

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i beleieve it is where the tank sits, or plywood, sits where is is not leveled there are painting bumps and where the steel meets are unleveled, a lip , lets say when you put the tank or plywood there, the lip comes up preventing the tank from falling off the stand.

what kinds of plywood is best to use for tanks ? any one that does not warp? names ? xd

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Don't shim under plywood. If needed shim under the legs of stand.

There's so many grades and types of plywood. Just go to homecheapo and look at their section of pre-cut pieces. Find a nice straight piece some where between 1/2 and 3/4 thick and good.
The paint bubbles might be welding spatter from when welded. The wood is softer than metal so once you fill the tank with water the wood might just get imprinted with those uneven spots and you might not need shims.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: