jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Got a 57 deep blue rimless reef ready tank return is 3/4 was thinking of upgrading it 2 1" return instead also wanted 2 plumb my bulkreef dual reactors as well could I damage the tank if I do this?

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Its all about pressure. PVC pipe (or any pipe for that matter) is pressure rated and also gravity rated. By going bigger off the pump you are reducing restriction and head pressure loss but even going into a smaller return under pressure you can run more then your drain would be able to handle under gravity or siphon. So I wouldn't worry too much about return size. You could split it as you hinted at before or get a loc-line wye at the top.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Run as big as you want up to it and then reduce before going into the bulkhead.

A bigger pipe holds more water. More water weighs more and will put more pressure on pump's head and reducing flow. Whatever size the output on the pump is the size you should run to tank.

OP, 3/4 is more than enough for your tank

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Run as big as you want up to it and then reduce before going into the bulkhead.

+1 Thank you for the correct information.

Lot of people still do not understand water pressure is the same regardless of pipe diameter. Smaller diameter actual have more restrictions and head pressure loss.

HL = (F) X (L/D) X (V^2/2g)

HL = Total Head Loss
F = Friction factor related to the roughness inside the pipe
L = Length of the pipe
D = Diameter of the pipe
V = Average liquid velocity in the pipe
2g = Two times the Universal Gravitation Constant (g=32.2 ft/sec)

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
+1 Thank you for the correct information.

Lot of people still do not understand water pressure is the same regardless of pipe diameter. Smaller diameter actual have more restrictions and head pressure loss.

HL = (F) X (L/D) X (V^2/2g)

HL = Total Head Loss
F = Friction factor related to the roughness inside the pipe
L = Length of the pipe
D = Diameter of the pipe
V = Average liquid velocity in the pipe
2g = Two times the Universal Gravitation Constant (g=32.2 ft/sec)
Ah, the Darcy formula. So scientific looking but doesn't really work here.
The problem with that is that formula and others like it are for much bigger applications, with much stronger pumps that can achieve higher head. With smaller aquarium pumps with a much smaller performance curve, that are limited to the size of the pumps output, you're only adding more weight and water to the smaller pumps head. And there's no return pressure, and aquarium pipes offer little surface friction. Look at it it like this... And this is not a formula... If the pipe is twice as wide it will hold twice as much weight down on the pump. The longer the vertical, the more that gets exaggerated

Brooklyn83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   1
3/4 for a 1 inch drain is enough for that size tank. The water needs to spend some time with the skimmer. If you want to setup reactors, I would recommend a manifold on the return, and a slightly larger pump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: