Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all, so I have a powder blue tang, he used to eat very well before catching a bacterial infection/fin rot off a new angel I got, got him to a quarantine tank and the fin healed well. However now that he's back in the main I see he's quite thin. He still eats pellets but he does so in a slow manner compared to his lightning fast movement before this infection, he'll let pellets drift by before attempting to go after one, additionally he used to love nori and munch on pieces galore, now when I clip it to the side he swims over to it and seems to struggle staying near it but either doesn't take a bite or nibbles on the edge for a second before stopping. Are there any foods (maybe garlic?) that would encourage him to eat more? Any solutions to getting his weight back up?

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey meat, how are you. I feed new life spectrum pellets alongside nori, both used to be favorites of the tangs. I've never fed live food, will he recognize it? Do they sink or float? He likely wouldn't see it if they only float.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hey, have we met?

Live food has good stuff. Feed kinda regularly and immunity goes up.

They don't float and if you keep in fridge with clean ro water they keep for days. Keep the lid on but not tight so the get air. And don't fill too close to top or they will get out

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would strongly suggest LRS food. Here is a link
http://www.larrysreefservices.com/lrs-food-blends.html. You can get it had most LFS. I know The reef shoppe carries it.
Once your fish is getting better he should start eating better. It might be he's still not 100%. He might need a little more time. As long he's eating a little each day. Looks like no more infection he'll get stronger each day. Try Feeding him frozen mysis too. Also add some vitamins to his food. Vita chem, and Selcon.

Last edited:

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I had my PBT for over 17 years and mine was a little finicky eating again once placed back in the the DT. It was very aggressive and had to be removed with new additions. As mentioned LFS is a good choice and try soaking its food, pellets, nori etc... in vita chem which helped mine to build its immune system back up from the stress of capture and removal.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hard to argue when someone has a pbt for 17 years. Will say that nls is some of the best dried food i'v used, and have seen amazing results with it. Will also say that live food has live bacteria which can't be found in dried of frozen like a rock for months food. Live bacteria is abundant in a fishes diet in nature, and seriously lacking to non existant in most aquariums

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: