jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
have a 57 lps softies tank gonna put some easy sps as well wats da best trace elments to dose wit my parameters r as follows
cal 440
alk 9.5
mag 1400
salinity 1.025
phosphate 0
nitrates 10pm
looking for better growth n color

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you're doing regular water changes with quality salt you don't need to add trace elements, aside from alk and cal. Even mag should stay in range, unless you have a really lot of macros growing.

Another thing, if you can't test for a certain element, don't dose it

Btw, reef chilli from BRS is inexpensive and some of the best coral food I've used. Use sparingly.

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Amino acids are not trace elements. They are food.

Phosphates are elusive. Testing for them not 100%. Lights come on, phosphates get consumed, tests read lower than they actually are. If his nitrates are at 10ppm, would put money on there's some phosphates

Last edited:

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Amino acids are not trace elements. They are food.

Phosphates are elusive. Testing for them not 100%. Lights come on, phosphates get consumed, tests read lower than they actually are.

Most amino supplements also contain trace elements. Like the one i suggested
Seachem Laboratories - Aqua Vitro Reef Fuel. Fuel is a comprehensive carbohydrate, vitamin, amino acid, polyunsaturated fatty acid, and trace element supplement developed to address nutritional requirements commonly associated with coral.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yup. And most food, coral specific of not, contain some level of amino acids. Unless you've got a full blown well stocked reef tank, regular water changes should be all the trace elements you need. And again, if you don't test for it, don't dose it. Or you could be making more bad than good

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Never got into sps myself, got one frag that is very healthy and growing but very much not the color it should be.

But my thought is before dosing anything why not grab a few less expensive sps frags and see what happens.

Give it a few months and see how the polyp extension and coloration holds up. If the water quality needs tweaking then look into trace elements.

Why try to fix something that might not be broken...imo

Last edited:

jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Actually was thing about the triton method but have No refugium but they have 1 that's especially 4 da hobbyist without a refugium it's called the other method by triton but it 2 sure

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: