Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
SantaMonica is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers

With more people wanting to use natural filtration for their tanks, we are going to look at the two main types of units that you can put on your system: Chaeto reactors (or "algae reactors") and algae turf scrubbers (ATS). We won’t be looking at refugiums however, since those have mostly a different purpose. This will be a multi-part post; the next post will start with the basics, so if you’d like anything in particular to be covered, let me know.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:37 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (61 (98%)
Friends: (55)
vio is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I have some experience in Algae Scrubber and Chaeto (refuge tank) i will explain my experience in both. In my opinion Chaeto Reactor is OUT of discussion , i refuse to believe one reactor ( Chaeto) will do same or more efficient then Refuge Tank, the dif is ......SPACE.
# 1 Algae Scrubber , need more maintenance then Chaeto , good water pump, depend how big, is a way more aggressive on removing the PO4 or Nitrate compare to Chaeto.
# 2 Chaeto need GOOD water flow also, lot of space .

I still have 90 Gal. refuge ( Full of Chaeto)

I think ....BEST have both....A.S. and Chaeto ( refuge tank) clean (prune) one at the time.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the reply; have seen that double setup before
Old 09-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Reefer Ratings: (31 (100%)
Friends: (24)
lnevo is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message View lnevo's Twitter Profile
Vio typically a refugium has less flow. As you said with chaeto flow is key. In a chaeto reactor you can be much more aggressive. SantaMonica, maybe it would be good to include macro growth in a tradition sump environment as well just to cover all bases.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:25 PM
A macro fuge is not a separate device, and you already have it as do many people who have nuisance algae problems. Scrubbers/reactors are separate devices which can kill fuge macro, so it's more of a decision between adding a scrubber/reactor, or not.

But the concepts of understanding the differences will still apply to fuge's.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
theMeat is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
A fuge can be a separate device, and even if not, as part of sump or whatever, it can be removed.
A fuge also competes for the same nutrients, and in most/many ways is applied with the same goal in mind.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:42 PM
vio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnevo View Post
Vio typically a refugium has less flow. As you said with chaeto flow is key. In a chaeto reactor you can be much more aggressive. SantaMonica, maybe it would be good to include macro growth in a tradition sump environment as well just to cover all bases.
I have a old, powerful Tunze pump in 90 Gal. refuge , dedicated for Chaetto i think 3.000 Gal. high flow is internal , flow around Chaetto is NOT maintain by the water IN or OUT .
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Clownfish Pimp
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Wesley is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I use an old big water pump to blow water at my chaeto in my chaeto tank as well.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:47 PM
reef obsessed
Reefer Ratings: (51 (100%)
Friends: (13)
NL146 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I'm thinking that flow rate, while important, may not necessarily be "key" for chaeto growth. I'm growing chaeto in an Aquamaxx media reactor. The chaeto barely moves to the flow but it grows well. While this is not scientific it looks to me like light coverage and nutrients are more important than aggressive flow, unless the aggressive flow is meant to increase exposure to light by tumbling. I've seen where the chaeto directly next to the LED light strip I use to wrap the reactor seems to experience light burn.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 PM
vio
"The chaeto barely moves to the flow but it grows well"
Water have to flow around chaeto, NOT the opposite way, but one flower in garden is NOTHING, to really see a drop on Nitrate or PO4 you need a WAY more Macro Algae to grow , unless , you want to drop 2 -5 ppm, i never ever will try or buy any Chaeto reactor, some ppl. have zero space, then may make sense.