Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hey Mr,

This may seem like a silly question but just curious how everyone cleans their sumps. Especially return pump sections and skimmer sections. There is always buildup and just curious on the best method to cleaning it up.

Thank you,
Mike

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
When i do water changes i blast the sump with the new water so it stirs up and ends up in the display. If i do it every week it doesn't seem to get that dirty and feeds the corals. If its a sump that has not been touched for a long time the shop vac is the way to go.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
does the mulm absorbs or releases phosphate and nitrite? just curious

Mulm thrives in healthy tanks, in low flow anaerobic areas. It turns otherwise flat void surfaces into 3 dimensional spaces. Increasing area for bacteria to grow. As well places for pods to feed and breed. Usually low flow areas are best for promoting nitrate removing effects, so can?t think how it would be bad in any way, other than it?s not pretty to look at.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I had no idea this was beneficial to the tank. I will just leave it be then. I thought all that stuff at the bottom of the sump was bad for the tank which is why I wanted to try to clean it out. If it is beneficial then I won't touch it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: