FishyLovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
While I've been on MR for years, I've bought my first LPS coral just a month ago. It was a beautiful Euphyllia with 3 colonies. I first placed it on the substrate, but after a few weeks noticed what looked like dead polyps falling off, so I quickly moved it to a rock higher up. It went back to looking good and healthy until this morning when one colony completely retracted, see picture.
What's going on? What's the potential diagnosis and remedy?
-------About my tank-------
36 gallon tank about 9 years old.
3 Oscellaris and 1 skunk clown. 3-5 blue leg hermits, a few naussirus snails, a turbo snail, a green BTA anemone and a long tentacled anemone (also btw not doing well).
Filter: I do a 10% weekly water change. Canister filter, about 30 lbs live rock and 30 lbs mature live sand. They have white bristle worms in them. Filter contains bio media, some carbon and some phosgaurd. No sump or skimmer.
Equipment: Hydor powerhead, Marineland Heater, Orbit marine lights. Hydor Ato with 10 gallon reservoir.
Parameters: 74 degrees. checked with Red Sea test kit this week:
Ca 500+ ppm, Alk 5.5 dKh, Magnesium 1500 ppm, pH 8.3.Other parameters unavailable. I'm not sure how accurate the test is this time because the parameters seemed overly high.
------------

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-10-02 at 8.00.38 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-10-02 at 8.00.38 PM.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 154
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-10-02 at 8.00.37 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-10-02 at 8.00.37 PM.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 158

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I think temp is too low. I think 78-79 is better. Alk is too low bring it up slowly to around 8.
I also would lower calcium a bit aswell. My euphyllia does not like alk spikes nor temp drops. They close right away. Check the heads for brown jelly disease.

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
your alk is really low, as everyone has stated.
also judging by how your rock looks around your frogspawn. i think you should test nitrates and Phos. might be high.
alk and nutrients go hand to hand, if you have low alk you have to have low nutrients.
high alk you can maintain high nutrients

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Yes please check Phos. If they to high bring down slowly aswell. Adding abunch of GFO can shock them even more. My torches and hammers shrink even after water changes for half the day till they get used to the difference

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: