Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
So at this point i have cycled a few tanks and thought i had it down but im kinda at a loss with this new tank. So my new setup is roughly 65 gallons total with dry rock all from Reef cleaners and dry fiji pink. Sunday will be 5 weeks i have been cycling the tank and i still havent seen my nitrite spike, but i have about 40ppm Nirate already. I have been dosing ammonia to maintain a 2.0ppm like suggested. Im wondering what to do at this point to get this cycle going?

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So at this point i have cycled a few tanks and thought i had it down but im kinda at a loss with this new tank. So my new setup is roughly 65 gallons total with dry rock all from Reef cleaners and dry fiji pink. Sunday will be 5 weeks i have been cycling the tank and i still havent seen my nitrite spike, but i have about 40ppm Nirate already. I have been dosing ammonia to maintain a 2.0ppm like suggested. Im wondering what to do at this point to get this cycle going?

Maybe you just missed the nitrites spike, But your system cycled. Is it reading zero ammonia? Zero nitrites? Since you have a high nitrate reading already.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If the ammonia goes back down to 0 means you have bacteria that's removing the ammonia, and if you have nirates of 40ppm means you have bacteria covert in nitrites into nirates? Are you sure your test kits are functioning correctly? Maybe take a water sample to a LFS or petco and have them test your water? If not where are the nirates coming from?

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
The test kits are all new and no I haven't done the first water change yet. I was thinking of doing it cause I felt maybe that would kick start the cycle back up, but I'm not sure. It was that or add bacteria.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definity, You should do Mild Water Changes. It took me 3 months to fully, Naturally Cycle my rock, And I only used 50lbs. Try doing a 20% water change, then add new water in. wait a week and continue to test.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: