Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 AM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (1)
nycearnestchink is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
dsb

who still runs a dsb in their tanks holla here. thinking about removing my 4 to 5 inch dsb 3 months old.. just want some advice.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:56 AM
BYU
bob
Reefer Ratings: (50 (100%)
Friends: (41)
BYU is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
depends on what you are keeping
I went bare bottom
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (0)
theMeat is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Dsb good, except. If disturbed, or if power outage, they can be bad.

To me the 4-5" Dsb is the most dangerous. It's deep enough to get big enough pockets that if disturbed can be damaging, but not deep enough so more vulnerable to being distributed.

Either keep your sand 1-3", or 5" + is my .02
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (1)
nycearnestchink is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
main reason why i want to remove my dsb its because mt tank is only 19 in all , 4.5 to5 inch of sand leaves me with about 15 inchs of water column. i do like the idea of a nitiriying enviroment. how are marine pure sphere balls in removing nitrate from the system, anyone have any thoughts or luck with it ?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (0)
samster is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
Dsb good, except. If disturbed, or if power outage, they can be bad.

To me the 4-5" Dsb is the most dangerous. It's deep enough to get big enough pockets that if disturbed can be damaging, but not deep enough so more vulnerable to being distributed.

Either keep your sand 1-3", or 5" + is my .02
Agree, I like DSB for more natural reef tank, beneficial bacterial, more stable system less PH issues etc, but I like bare bottoms for easy maintance, but they are less stable, so the trade off is pretty clear. There's also a lot of detritus eatting critters that call the sand bed home.