techhnyne

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 80%
8   2   0
So does anyone know of any ways to get a real good cleaning of your filter socks if you do not have a washing machine in your apartment?

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So does anyone know of any ways to get a real good cleaning of your filter socks if you do not have a washing machine in your apartment?

Just hand wash it in sink with some bleach, and let it air out for and alternate between a few. Wouldn't want to put fish poo in the washer anyways.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
best thing to use is h2o2 to actually break down the organic matter stuck within the socks itself instead of just bleaching it so it looks pretty. I usually soak over night in h2o2, then run through the washer 2 cycles. once with h2o2 and once with white vinegar. I usually wait until I have 25+ socks to wash so im not running an empty washing machine.

beang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Washing filter socks

I keep them in a placlstic cup with hydrogen peroxide for a week and they come out bright white like the first day.
if you pressure wash them with garden hose on the floor before putting in hydrogen peroxide, it takes much less time to get bright white color and clean.
Then I rinse them with tap water.
Dont forget to turn them inside out.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The bleach denatures as well. (Breaks down the organics)

Im going off of something that I read about either on R2R or RC. The guy had washed socks with both bleach adn H2O2 then took a sample of the sock after cleaning and put it under a microscope. He said there appeared to be less organics still stuck to the socks in the H2O2, and some areas on the bleached socks where organics were still present, but just bleached white/clear in color.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Bleach is a lot cheaper and serves the same purpose. I put the socks in my washing machine small load with about a cup or two of chlorox. When I pull them out they stink of bleach, but I throw them over a chair and let them air dry. It denatures the same way H2O2 does.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
im just tell you what i read, haha. the guy did a direct comparison and said there was a difference so thats what I went by. If it should be the same in theory then so be it. but I also believe remnant H2O2 is more reef safe than remnant bleach which is another reason why i go that route.

atorres53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
This is what I would do:
1.Buy enough socks for a least one or two week's use.
2.Soak the socks in a 5 gallon bucket with a 50/50 mix of water and Clorox.
3.Since he does not have a washer I assume he washes his dirty clothes at a laundry mat. So I would take the bucket and wash them at the laundry mat separate machine. Heavy wash with Clorox, extra rinse and high spin. Air dry at home for 24 to 48 hours.
4.Bingo.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: