Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hi All,

New to the extra large internal skimmer game with a purchase of a SRO-5000int. It has a footprint of 17.5"x11". I'm looking at sumps with a skimmer section of 18x11. Is that enough room for the pump and associated plumbing or should Increase the dimensions a few inches each side? I could probably unpack and assemble to double-check, but its nicely sealed up right now as I collect everything for my new build.

Thanks all.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hey there.
It will work. If/when you want to take it out, in close quarters like that, if you don?t have enough room above it and you can?t lift it high enough to get an angle to get it out, it could be an issue. Another words enough room between top of sump and top of stand.

Building your own sump will not only save you money, but then you can build it around your skimmer as you like. The 5000int is a beast of a skimmer. Should def look to get air intake from outside to keep noise level down

Another thing...
The skimmer should be first in line for water flow through sump so it gets first chance at dirty water from tank. If you have a single pain/ bubble trap for drains in pre-skimmer section, it keeps any bubbles from drain away from skimmer intake which gives you a more steady skimmer.

Last edited:

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
here is the planned on sump, MEAT.

2 1" intakes, passing over 3 4" socks, plenty of compartments and time for bubbles to dissipate.
Also comes with scrubber, placement depending on skimmer proximity. also fuge and return compartments. I am happy with the design after searching for months, responding to many custom builders, and I like the clean look as opposed to a PETCO brand build type.

Attachments

• IMG_2628_grande.jpg
    IMG_2628_grande.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 85

Panonhas

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I would leave as much room as possible for the skimmer whether it be height wise or length. like "MEAT" mentioned you don't want to fuss with the skimmer when its cleaning time or you need to do maintenance. I had a SRO3000-INT and it was a hassle to take the collection cup out just due to the height. the RO are pretty tall. also if it too close to the bottom of the stand if it overflows for some reason the stand will start getting wet and full of the skimmer gunk. I had to always play with the Heater position when trying to take it out for maintenance. great Skimmer though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: