smallreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm running Kalkwasser in my ATO for a nuvo 20. I am maxed out at 2 tsp / gallon of ATO. My Alk usually is 1 DKH lower after a week. For example after a water change if my Alk is 10 DKH by the following weekend when im about to do a water change its usually 9. I'm using reef crystals which combined with a small dose of liquid alk brings it up to 10 DKH again. Calcium around 435

I understand the goal is no swing at all but do you think 1 DKH / week is significant enough to change back to liquid dosing? I was thinking to leave it for now as once winter comes and the air gets drier the ATO will probably increase its top offs.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
So, you are supplementing the fresh mixed saltwater to go from 9 - 10..correct?

If you salt is mixing at 9, when why not leave it at 9.
(I Prefer to run my tank at the level of salt I use).

1dkh drop in a week is appox .14 / day. Thats not bad, but it is a forced up swing, most test daily to get an accuracy of consumption when setting up dosing schedules.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smallreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
yes. If I leave it at 9, then at the end of the week would be at 8 right? So same issue losing 1 dkh per week. Lest say I dont supplement the fresh mixed saltwater and the higher dkh of reef crystals brings the tank up to 9.5, then following week would be 8.5, following week after next water change might bring it up to 9 but end of week 8, so would consistently be lowering the DKH

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
yes. If I leave it at 9, then at the end of the week would be at 8 right? So same issue losing 1 dkh per week. Lest say I dont supplement the fresh mixed saltwater and the higher dkh of reef crystals brings the tank up to 9.5, then following week would be 8.5, following week after next water change might bring it up to 9 but end of week 8, so would consistently be lowering the DKH
I still think your fine at that low rate.
If you want to super saturate your kalk, add vinegar to maintain a higher level balance.
What is your MG? - everything consuming a balance ratio.

Again, its not the slow drop of only 1dkh (over week - not like in a day), as long as CA is also consumed, (roughly 20 - 1), I'd be more concerned with the spike you give from the W/C, IF it is effecting anything, if not dont worry.

Super saturate or two part are other options, I understand two part in small tank is not ideal though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: