Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This ban will not be lifted anytime soon. Maybe years if it ever does get lifted. If it does you might see less permits meaning a higher price for hobbiest.Soon the ban will be on Caribbean. Aquaculturing is going to play a more important roll in this hobby.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If the science supported the ban I'd be fine with it. However, it does not. This is the most studied and among the most sustainable aquarium fisheries in the world. Emotion triumphing over science. Very Sad.

Happens all the time and moreso as time goes on. It's called overreach, gov't overreach. Don't worry Randy, 'they' know what's best for us, for the fish, for the reefs and for the planet.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Why are you all taking this so negatively? a ban would only increase the fish population and to be conservative with a "wait and see" attitude. If there is nothing to worry about and the ban is premature, the fish will still be available in the future. They aren't going any where. There are plenty of bans currently where counties don't comply to, whaling, tuna, etc, and we all know how those turned out. Regulation will force aquaculture to develop faster, with more financial incentives for the industry, as demand for the farmed species increase.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
There are plenty of other herbivore species out there instead of the yellow or kole, such as rabbit fish, which are fished and consumed locally for food. This will simply create stronger trade networks for these guys, where before there was little. Imports from indo china, will more than provide for what's lost in Hawaii. As for that chevron tang, well they were expensive before. I wonder if creating an artificial reef off Hawaii, under private ownership, for the sole purpose of recruiting endemic species, be a possible venture for aquaculture companies, such as ORA to pioneer and develop.

techhnyne

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 80%
8   2   0
There are plenty of other herbivore species out there instead of the yellow or kole, such as rabbit fish, which are fished and consumed locally for food. This will simply create stronger trade networks for these guys, where before there was little. Imports from indo china, will more than provide for what's lost in Hawaii. As for that chevron tang, well they were expensive before. I wonder if creating an artificial reef off Hawaii, under private ownership, for the sole purpose of recruiting endemic species, be a possible venture for aquaculture companies, such as ORA to pioneer and develop.

I was gonna get a chevron tang other day, should i grab him while its available? lol

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
http://hawaiifreepress.com/Articles...may-apply-to-Dive-Tour-Operators-as-well.aspx

From a local wholesaler in Hawaii:

The collection of aquarium fish in Hawaii is not shut down!

Although Hawaii?s aquarium fishery has lost its small mesh net permit until we get our Hawaii Environmental Protection Act ( HEPA) permit ,we still have our commercial fishing permits and can continue to catch fish under it. That means nets of 2 inch stretch or bigger can be used, and there are at least two other trade secret methods of catching fish I use. Resale of imported fish can also continue.

We are in the process of filing for the HEPA permit in 30 days at a cost of $50,000 which PJAC is funding. After filing, it may be several months to get our HEPA approval. If there are legal delays it could take much longer. The quickest solution for our sustainable fishery is to fix the state law. It was never meant for ocean regulated permits. It is the ecological friendly courts interpretation of the law that created the issue.

The million dollar question is how do you collect smaller fish without a small mesh net and still be legal. I have a way, and will building the prototype this week. It has been months in the planning stages but with the ruling now is the time to implement it. How much small fish prices go up depends on how well it works at least with my company. Expect shortages of small fish from Hawaii like flame wrasse, potters etc. Many wrasses though have legal ways to catch them and will be still in stock like christmas wrasse and saddle wrasse etc.

Support your Hawaii dealer

Please join PJAC and donate to the ocean defense fund. Every little bit will help us help you continue to get the fish you need.
Link:

https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/s...&prd_key=7e1f6ef1-95f6-4fed-8d09-8c4cfd621f83

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Nice thing is biota has aqua cultured yellow tangs that will retail for 60$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: