Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yesterday I fed my tank as usual. Clams, mysis, new born brine shrimp and live worms. Of course all the fish, especially the copperband rushed out and try to eat everything before the next fish gets it. My Janss pipefish also but he has a tiny mouth and can't eat much food unless it is very tiny, but the competition was fierce and I guess he was hungry so he darted through the hoard of fish like a javelin almost spearing the copperband to grab a mysis shrimp. I watched in horror because I knew that mysis was to large for him. I was right, he started to choke. If he had hands he would have put them on his throat, the international symbol for choking. He was in trouble and I could see the tail of the mysis sticking out his gill. He was trying to gag, but fish don't gag well and they don't have a tongue to push the food out. I rolled up my sleeves, ready to go in to give him the Heimlich maneuver, or worse, a tracheotomy. But I was to slow, he made his way behind the rocks. I crawled around the back of the tank with a flashlight only to see him twisting and gagging. The eyes on the bristle worms were wide open in anticipation of a long skinny meal. I couldn't watch any longer so I had a glass of Grand Marnier and watched a re run of Star Trek.
This morning I fully expected to see him in pieces sticking out from under a hermit crab shell.
The lights came on and there he was. Smiling and looking for more mysis. :rolleyes:

You could see the Janss in this Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPzSxrsVW3U

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I also tried to put the northern pipefish into my reef and it didn't do well, the ones I placed in the refugium were fine, since I was able to feed them frozen mysis. Why do you think the northern pipefish do not perform as opposed to the tropical species you have in the reef? Simply a matter of water movement and feeding difficulties? speaking of feeding pipe fish, Why don't you train them to feed in a box with a small hole in it to keep out competitors as you did to train mandarin gobies?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: