Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
So I walked into the house today and immediately my eyes went straight to my coral banded. He was in an area of the tank he normally doesn't go, with something long and thin clutched in his grasp...my new blue streaked cleaner wrasse.

Um, I've heard of coral banded's catching small fish and chowing down. My worry is now that he has the taste and apparently skill of catching the fastest fish in my tank, will he go after my bigger inhabitants that I am more attached to?

Does the CBShrimp have to go?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The shrimp is a predator, lets say he have a 0.01% chance at capturing a fish per strike. Given 1000 chances, he'll get his prey eventually. unless the fish is strong enough to break its claw arm off that is, which I believe the wrasse can.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
More than likely the wrasse died before the shrimp started eating it. Unless your wife saw the shrimp catch the fish live, then I would bet the wrasse died first.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
The shrimp is a predator, lets say he have a 0.01% chance at capturing a fish per strike. Given 1000 chances, he'll get his prey eventually. unless the fish is strong enough to break its claw arm off that is, which I believe the wrasse can.

This actually is incorrect. Coral banded shrimp are scavengers, not predators. In the wild and on occasion i've seen it in my own tank, coral banded shrimp are cleaners like cleaner shrimp and blood red shrimp.

Jamesmost

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I had 2 cleaner wrasse , completely disappear in my tank 100% mia concurrently, healthy swimmiming , eating, cleaning... not jumpers,,,
So good chance ur wrasse looked healthy and just died.
I assumed my cleaner and fire shrimp and crabs devoured...

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Oh, let me be specific, I had a Stenopus hispidus in the past that would lunge at small fish as they swam by. This guy grew into a giant with a claw span of 4+ inches and antenna span that were as 6 or 10 inches wide ( I think the damsels picked off the tips, he was pretty clumsy at the attacks and the small fish easily evaded them. I don't remember if the larger tangs avoided him or not. When I dropped food in, the shrimp would swim upwards and attack the food. If a small fish stood still, it would be consumed. Afterwards, I had a pair of little yellow coral banded shrimps Stenopus cyanoscelis, they were gentle and timid fpr the 2+ years I had them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: