Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 PM
FonzesFishFarm
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Zoa addicts attention pls

Hey, something has been bothering me for a while and I want to put it out there. All my zoas’ lashes/skirts extend/straighten out/get longer in my tank. In most zoas pics I see on the net etc they’re always plump and short which seems to be the “normal” way. Any idea why that happens? Am I doing something wrong? Does flow, lighting, parameters cause that? I’m kind of tired of it lol. They’re growing just fine and colors seem to be good, except for my rainbow sakuras which dull out. Just want to get this stuff right! Thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Reefer Ratings: (66 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
some zoas grow like that and those might be reaching for lights
Old 11-06-2017, 11:03 PM
FonzesFishFarm
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2reef View Post
some zoas grow like that and those might be reaching for lights
But I’ve noticed that zoas bought from anywhere come into my tank with short skirts and become long in time. Not all but most of them i think
Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 PM
Reefer Ratings: (31 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
The tentacles are extending to capture food, or there is slower current, allowing it to catch food better. It would be like a bubble tipped anemone, bubbly under high light, but long and stringy in low light, where it depends less on photosynthesis and more on prey.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
what lights do you have? When I used to have my tank under halides almost all of my zoas would have long skirts. I kind of liked it. Then when i switched to LEDs they shorted up.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Send a Private Message
pics !