Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Eddie7145 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Fish Wrasse problems

I been trying to keep wrasse , I have done my research but the keep dying on me. They hide all the time dobt come our to eat. The only one I have managed to keep is a Lubbock wrasse he barely come out but he is alive and I see him a little bit each day. What am I doing wrong
Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (51 (100%)
Friends: (84)
albano is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
What are the other tank mates?
Tank size?
What type of wrassses died?

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 11-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Dre
Reefer Ratings: (93 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Dre is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
And Do you have a sand bed?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:48 AM
It's a 150 gal tank with a dsb, I ha e 3 clowns, 1 tang , black cap basslets, orchids dotty back ,2 damsels,1 flame Angel. I lost n orange black wrasse, a exquisite wrasse and a flasher wrasse. The only one that survived is the Lubbock wrasse
Old 11-12-2017, 12:54 PM
xanderax1
View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Age of tank .... acclimate procedures and have they eaten before going into tank ?

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (37 (100%)
Friends: (5)
bonomo53 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I would get an acclimation box. The basslet, dotty back and damsels can be nasty fish and may go after the wrasses when first introduced. Most of the time wrasses tend to lay down when first put in the tank. An acclimation box will give them a chance to rest and start to eat without getting picked on.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:41 PM
I have acclamation box and the tank is over 1o years old, the wrasse aren't harassed much at all by anyone, the basslets and dotty back don't bother then at all, the damsels give chase alittle but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Dre
Reefer Ratings: (93 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Dre is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Make sure the Wrasses look healthy and eating before you buy next time. Note:- Collection method maybe the reason. Whoever Some wrasses are not easy to keep, some come with intestinal worms. Overall wrasses are hardy
Old 11-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Reefer Ratings: (79 (100%)
brooklynreefers is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
you got some of the meanest fish in your tank, of course, they will hide till they die. its not an immediate harassment, its the thought of coming out into a cage fight everytime they come out which stresses them to die prematurely. flasher wrasses are pretty much like anthia they need to eat constantly. its best to just stick to fairy wrasses.

i would say if you want to be successful with wrasse, you have to restart your stock and if you want to keep those fish. REmove your current stock and put in wrasses and rearrange the rock work and put in your current fish a month or so later
Old 11-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Reefer Ratings: (30 (100%)
Friends: (5)
homegrowncichlid is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
The dotty back is probably the aggressor. but you seem to think the tank is safe enough. I find wrasses very hard to kill. the specific individual wrasses you picked up may have been sick to begin with. Make sure they are feeding well before you even put them in the tank, you have to train them to your foods. then let them live in the acclimation box, for a while, before release, even at that point, I use an acclimation box with an opening so the fish can come and go as it pleases.