b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I am looking to get/set up a frag tank. It will be separate from my main tank. It will be used to grow frags and also as a qt for corals and inverts. My question or questions is would I set this up as if I was setting up a main tank also? What equipment would I need besides fish tank and probably some good lights? Do I need to run a sump or could I find a canister filter? Once set up this will be running full time. Thanks your suggestions and help are much appreciated

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You don't need a sump. You need a skimmer, mechanical filler of some sort, media reactors but not necessary. And don't use it as a quarantine tank, please. Why would you jeopardize your frags?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Ok, what I suggested would be fine whoever you shouldn't add any corals for 76 days once you start the quarantine process

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
instead of a tank you can also buy those pvc tubs.. (about 75g) They are long length wise and width wise but the depth is low. Easier to clean, stock corals and so forth. If you want I can point you to someone who can help you out with this route. let me know

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Using water from another tank will not do you good for cycling tank. You would need some source to seed that has live bacteria. Such as a rock, sponge or sand. Hob filter will be ok.

Freshly made salt water and salt water from an existing tank. Are they the same? Please explain if they are any differences

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Using water from another tank will not do you good for cycling tank. You would need some source to seed that has live bacteria. Such as a rock, sponge or sand. Hob filter will be ok.

Water from an exsisting system will posses the source of bacteria, but media filter, rocks, sand, etc will hold more. You can use nothing but old water from a water change and new tank will be cycled aswell.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Freshly made salt water and salt water from an existing tank. Are they the same? Please explain if they are any differences
No.
Tank water will have more nutrients, aka PO4 & NO3 etc...
New water wont.

Neither will have a sufficient amount of bacteria to keep anything from keeping spikes in NH3 "new tank syndrome"

That is why you should just keep foam filters / pads in you sump and use as needed to seed a QT filter. For a coral, use rock, etc..

You don't need to restart the 76 days for corals only qt each time a new addition is added, unless it is housing fish. Only 76 days per item added.

This is only for ich.

Last edited:

jlm080307

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
instead of a tank you can also buy those pvc tubs.. (about 75g) They are long length wise and width wise but the depth is low. Easier to clean, stock corals and so forth. If you want I can point you to someone who can help you out with this route. let me know
Think you are referring to hydroponic tables. Problem is the deepest I've seen is 8 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thank you...... For explain that... ....Chefjpaul.....
I believe his question was to cycle or help start a frag tank. Nothing wrong using water from another tank. But if that tank is not up to par with Alk and Cal, Mag, than Nirtates and Phoshates. Thats another issue. but I was talking about Bacteria .

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: