FlexLuthor

Is Too Noob 4 Skool
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tank: 24 gallons, a lot of rock work
i have pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman
...they dont seem to have paired
the pistol shrimp has killed a pretty jawfish i got and i think its killing my emerald crabs as well..

what to do =(

rjl09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Give it some time. It took some time, maybe a few weeks til my goby paired with the pistol shrimp. Now if you want to speed the process and manually catch the shrimp & fish and put them in some type of container, which would disturbed your whole tank and rock work. Best advice would is to probably wait

rjl09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pistol shrimp is fine in your tank. Online shows 30 gal minimum for a jawfish but i dont see it as a problem in a 24 gallon. The problem you will get probably is aggression between the jawfish and any watchman gobies. I would hate for you to tear down your tank to get a pistol shrimp, or maybe place a trap and have it removed off your tank.

rjl09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes. try to have them around the same size. If they aren't introduce at the same time. U may have a little bit of aggression. One might chase the other or open its mouth to show who's tougher. But eventually they will get along

meherbas

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
1) do you know what type of pistol shrimp you have ? Some tend not to bond with some of the shrimp gobies/sand sifter gobies that are readily available.
2) IMO 24 gal is a bit tight for both shrimp goby/shrimp and jawfish together as both tend to live/burrow in the sand and may come across each other often and fight for territory.
3) keeping multiple shrimp gobies and pistol shrimp is doable( I have 3dracula gobies and 2 candy pistol shrimp together) however difficult as most shrimp gobies are not sexually dimorphic and risk agression if the gobies are the same sex or not a suitable mate(size).
4) what type of jawfish ? IME jawfish can be difficult also in that some may be more suitable for cooler tanks (temp) and that they require relative deep sand beds to be at home.

Jazeel55

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a tiger pistol shrimp a yellow watch man goby and a dusk jaw. The shrimp and goby are bonded no issues but jaw fish and shrimp goby stay on separate sides of the tank they both burrow and they both are very territorial so maybe your tank is too small. I have a 150 gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drblakjak55

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bought a bonded watchman and pistol shrimp a couple months ago. Never seen either one since. But I sure here the pistol now and than. Think the watchman is still alive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: