Cal

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone can recommend a good battery operated pump?

I had ordered a couple from thatfishplace long ago but when the big power outage of 2003(?) happened we were without power for 48hrs in forest hills and the pumps didn't actually work and lost thousands of $ in coral and fish.

wouldn't want that to happen here now that i'm back into the hobby albeit on the west coast now and will eventually do solar and/or generator/backups.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Use an UPS for computers, then find a really low power pump for circulation, like something in the 2 or 3 watt range that will maintain oxygen levels, don't bother trying to keep a high power like a mag 5 going for the sump or primary filtration. A koralia wave maker or 2 is all you can for any extended period of time.

During the last black out in NY which was 23 hours, My UPS kept my tank going for a full 30 minutes before it ran out of juice. The mag 5 runs on an amp of power, but I imagine a 1000 gal/hour wave maker on 2 or 3 W can run for days.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: