BKLYN REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I was experiencing a bad hair algae outbreak. Been here before. This time I tried a new approach and am shocked at how well it worked. I didn't want to use GFO so I gave phosguard a try. Put a cup and a half in a media bag and put it in high flow area of sump. Also added 5 hermit crabs and 5 turbo snails. Been 2 weeks and it's almost all gone. Worked for me so thought I'd share. Phosguard will be my new go to media to reduce phosphate and clean up a dirty tank.

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've neglected my reef tank a little bit due to other things in my life taking priority. Is there a supllement that I can buy to kill algae in my tank and not kill fish/coral? Please advise.

What kind of algae? I wouldn?t add anything until you?re sure it?s effective against that type. with the exception of bryopsis, and to some extent cyano, whatever ?algacide?you add is a temporary fix.

Almost all will irritate something in a reef either due to a chemical used or die off etc... a few famous ?reef safe? algacides for example kill worms, so if you have a lot of bristles your tank can crash.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
The best way to start clearing out a tank, imho.

Perform significant water changes 20-30% every few days.

Then do a 3-4day blackout of your tank.

I did a blackout treatment for my tanks once a year at the slightest sign of algae.

Turn off all your lights.
Cover every inch of your tank in a decent size blanket and then 3 days later uncover and slowly acclimate again and do a water change.

In 2 weeks, you'll be atleast 70+% clear, if not 95+%.

I find the problem during that time, if it was RO/DI tds no longer reading 0, t5 bulbs needing to be changed, GFO ran out, etc.

You need to locate the issues that may cause it to come back or you did it for nothing.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just had a slow but steady increase of algae over the past month...added 10 hermits, 2 emerald crabs and changed my chemi-pure blue. Water change as normal which is every 10 days.

10 days later now and it's almost all gone.

No chemicals, no black outs due to corals.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: