evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Good evening everyone,

I just finished doing a bleach bath of my old rocks and vinegar bath for my new tonga pieces.

I did a 3 day bath of bleach - 4 days of RO/DI - 5 days of dry out.

It is now back in RO/DI in order to utilize lanthanum chloride to pull any leaching phosphates from the old rock.

I am getting 0 precipitation or cloudiness during the drops and waiting a few minutes to see if any changes. I pour into my 37 gallon container right where my maxijet 1200 is pushing.

I'm pretty sure it is self explanatory. Only thing about lanthanum chloride that I see is dripping into a 5 micro sock if you are going to drip into your setup. I am doing it in the early stages to try to make sure no po4 is leeching before the DT even goes online.

Any help is appreciated!!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I would test for PO4 but I think it is a waste to get the test kits right now. I just spent a ton of money on all the equipment to setup. I will be running fowlr for the first 6 months and then sticks.

I will be running GFO in one of the two sump filter cups and has some time before hitting the chaeto reactor to in early stages of the tank to ensure po4 does not increase during that time frame from food source.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
What are you using to get rid of the die off that the LC is creating? I use it also to get rid of an algae problem that I have (just restarted the tank). I dose it into the filter sock and skimmer and also run carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I am trying to get rid of any possible leaching PO4 from being used in my tank for 1.5years prior to a 1.5years of sitting in a brute can.

Then I just bought another 50# of tonga so I wanted to make sure that was clean too.

Basically, I want to ensure everything is clean prior to going in and I won't have problems later. Reducing algae problems in the future and being patient by doing everything right before everything goes online.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Tonga in my opinion , is most for easy way to pass the water, avoid deposit of detritus and much better look, but NOT good to hold bacteria , is very dense compare Pukani .
I just trow the Tonga in RO/DI mix whit Baking Soda , let one small pump to run for few days then rinse in few dif. time only RO/DI become white.
Pukani is pain , may release PO4 after 6 months cure or even more.
I crack few (Pukani) and find all kind of black stuff that fuel the PO4 then Hair Algae all over, i cure whit NO light for long time , then trow in my 90 Gal. refuge , whatever still leak (PO4) was consume by the life animals (corals etc.)

Attachments

• 475.jpg
    475.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 65
  • last2.jpg
    last2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 63
  • last4.jpg
    last4.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 65
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Started my last build with Marco rocks...just rinsed them in fresh water to remove and dust and loose particles.

Used live sand, tanked cycled in about 3 weeks and haven't had a problem since. Didn't have to worry about die off, pests etc...

Before starting the tank..several posters mentioned problems they had with the rock leaching po4 into the water and I had to cook it in lc to draw it all out...but honestly never had a problem, at least not one caused by the rock.

Personally I wouldn't consider using anything else...much less work and headaches and a lot less risk of pests

Vio...nice looking tank. The Tonga rock really does make a nice scape.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Started my last build with Marco rocks...just rinsed them in fresh water to remove and dust and loose particles.

Used live sand, tanked cycled in about 3 weeks and haven't had a problem since. Didn't have to worry about die off, pests etc...

Before starting the tank..several posters mentioned problems they had with the rock leaching po4 into the water and I had to cook it in lc to draw it all out...but honestly never had a problem, at least not one caused by the rock.

Personally I wouldn't consider using anything else...much less work and headaches and a lot less risk of pests

Vio...nice looking tank. The Tonga rock really does make a nice scape.
First,,,,Thank You.
Yes, i use Marco mortar , you need time but result will be according you imagination and passion, by end will look very nice and healthy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: