Rating - 100%
575   0   0
At this point i would restart the tank
Completely desinfect the equipment with water/vinager and start with fresh new saltwater and BLEACH rocks. Even if u buy them new dry rock i would still bleach them
All this frustration will most likely make u quit at some point or at least u will feel like quitting.
Gd luck.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last Spring I got dinos in my tank that wiped out 3 sps colonies. What I did was temporarily hook up the UV again to run at night when the dino was in the free swimming stage.
I used to have the UV hooked up all the time but it took up a lot of space under the stand so I removed it. When the dinos appeared I broke out the UV and hooked it up to a canister filter I had in storage. The canister was used without any filter media inside it was just to pump water through the UV. This set up was on a timer to run overnight when the lights were out and the dino would be floating around in the water column. A few minutes before the lights shut off I would take a turkey baster and blast off the dino from all the rocks and coral it was on to get it into the water column. The canister filter was drawing water from in the tank through the UV and draining into the filter sock that I would replace every day. I also positioned one of the PH's to put more flow towards the canister filter intake.
Did this every night for two weeks and by the third week most of the dino was gone. I continued for another two weeks and it was totally gone and hasn't been back since. This set up can be put up and taken down in minutes if needed again. This worked for my tank, but all tanks are different and there are different strains of dinos too.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
At this point i would restart the tank
Completely disinfect the equipment with water/vinager and start with fresh new saltwater and BLEACH rocks. Even if u buy them new dry rock i would still bleach them
All this frustration will most likely make u quit at some point or at least u will feel like quitting.
Gd luck.

+1

No light = Zero
Hydrogen Peroxide kill good bacteria also = NO good
UV, same-think kill good bacteria = NO good
Change water = NO good ( even worst)

Arnaldo24 is right ,
"Completely disinfect the equipment" include pumps , heaters etc.
Remove sand , rocks ,bleach it.

I refer to Dino.

High PH works ( 8.5) use Kalkaswasser , i try for friend of mine , YES kill Dino.
Easy test....use a pipette , take a sample , put in one water cup , mix hard, in few seconds up to minute they regroup , just like hair or you see it in tank. UV ,water change etc, will NOT pull OUT the Dino, they hang up everywhere . The more stuff die ( in special Snails ) the faster multiply. The more ignore.......the worst coming.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ich & Dino wiped out tank!! Trying to stay positive!!

+1

No light = Zero

Hydrogen Peroxide kill good bacteria also = NO good

UV, same-think kill good bacteria = NO good

Change water = NO good ( even worst)

Arnaldo24 is right ,

"Completely disinfect the equipment" include pumps , heaters etc.

Remove sand , rocks ,bleach it.

I refer to Dino.

High PH works ( 8.5) use Kalkaswasser , i try for friend of mine , YES kill Dino.

Easy test....use a pipette , take a sample , put in one water cup , mix hard, in few seconds up to minute they regroup , just like hair or you see it in tank. UV ,water change etc, will NOT pull OUT the Dino, they hang up everywhere . The more stuff die ( in special Snails ) the faster multiply. The more ignore.......the worst coming.

We siphoned out everything last night through a filter sock all the sand, rocks etc ... put in fresh chemi and poly pad, and started using Kalk, fully cleaned out skimmer to help with pulling out junk etc ...unfortunately my last fish passed and of course behind the smallest crevice of rocks :Banghead: so now I?m worried that will only add to the problem since I had to go to work early today ...

If in 2 weeks I don?t see an improvement than I will break down and re start possibly - last night before we cleaned it wasn?t as crazy esp on the sand bed but it was all over two of my corals suffocating them - and we tested the water and it was literally perfect but that?s what Dino?s do best breakdown waste but than by product is the red string and bubbles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Well once again Dino proved to be superior after a massive cleaning as mentioned in last post - it came back once again so I?m done will be blacking out for next week or so (works out perfect because I?m putting down new flooring in that room) and will be starting over ...the corals I have will go back to LFS for salvage and i guess I will keep everything else - looks like a tear down and massive cleaning inside and out is in order

This stuff is no joke and even the LFS owner who is helping me is baffled -

Dino X treatment which many praise for this is on day 8 and by dose 5 it should have been helping - siphoning proved to help for a short time , as does blackouts but in no way is that the answer - and as most debate the water change (minimal one after siphoning ) did make it worse not better ..after much research I?ve realized no one has the answer to this .. my tank was well maintained and in top working shape ... biologically water testing was pristine quality not even trace ...

And I believe I had the toxic version as I had 4 cleaner wrasses die within a week , (would have one for ich purposes ) and it would die and I would replace and replace ...

May have to go the long route and cure a tank from scratch , wait out cycle etc ... watch as the water because ready for life like I did way back when

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
If i was you , i will NOT give up , prove your self , you bet DINO, not much to lose, god for bet you got again in future.
Increase PH (Kalka) nothing else , forgot about water change , light , Hydrogen Peroxide ( kill more then Dino, even GOOD bacteria) etc. i spend many hours, nights to search , i help some one, Dino free.
Just in case, i got Scope.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
i have had dinos in 3 tanks already. Most likely from my own doing from cross contamination with sharing pumps for water changes or w/e. either way long story short the only thing that has ever worked for me 100% is bleech dosing the tank. i know it sounds crazy but it works. All the rest of the stuff like Vio said is a waste of time. Since you have no fish left in the tank its the best time to do. BTW also in the case of ich you will have to leave that tank fallow for 3 months to live out the life cycle of the ich. If you interested in what i did pm me ill give you the info at this point you dont have anything to lose. This was my last resort before breaking down and redoing the tank.

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i have had dinos in 3 tanks already. Most likely from my own doing from cross contamination with sharing pumps for water changes or w/e. either way long story short the only thing that has ever worked for me 100% is bleech dosing the tank. i know it sounds crazy but it works. All the rest of the stuff like Vio said is a waste of time. Since you have no fish left in the tank its the best time to do. BTW also in the case of ich you will have to leave that tank fallow for 3 months to live out the life cycle of the ich. If you interested in what i did pm me ill give you the info.

Good point.
But , if is Nothing in the tank , except Dino, i will try to kill it, just to have a confirmation.

ohdanny

Just reefing
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I just set up a new 45g tank, as soon as it cycled I dropped 5 fishes in. Diatom and bacteria bloom(cloudy water) everyday for a week. I was also feeding my fishes heavily to keep them healthy and strong (2 brine and 2 mysis cubes every day or 2). I also ran heavy blues and very very low whites to keep diatoms under control. For filtration, I ran my skimmer 24/7, ran my refugium for 24/7 till phos and nitrates came to desired levels, and carbon. After that week of those blooms it went away.

Fishes(planning to add a ton more)
Yellow tang
Midas blenny
Clown
Lyretail anthia
Cleaner wrasse

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Current state of tank after another blackout cycle - Crazy how clear the tank is and free of Dino (not very hopeful it will last after tomorrow full day of lighting ) ...

Wednesday is the clean out day unless for some miracle it doesn?t come back ...

0324b6ae6f04cee385f703d95014d533.jpg

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Current state of tank after another blackout cycle - Crazy how clear the tank is and free of Dino (not very hopeful it will last after tomorrow full day of lighting ) ...

That Pink color stuff around rocks ( Bottom right) is that UNDERWATER EPOXY PUTTY - CORALLINE RED ? Just curios .

Mike S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've battled dinos twice. First time was a few years ago and I tried starving them out along with a series of balckouts and peroxide dosing. Killed a lot of my sps in the process. After a few months they went away but it was more luck than anything that I did.

I just recently had another bought with them. It came on right after I had run my tank fallow for 3 months. At the end of my fallow period my PO4 and NO3 bottomed out. Do you know your nutrient levels in your tank around when they first appeared? Dinos are probably always present in our tanks but they seem to bloom when nutirients are close to zero and they can put compete the other critters in our tanks that are starving.

A possible solution... feed the tank so you stop starving the organisms that compete with dinos. Dinos do well on organic carbon (fish food...) but not inorganic carbon.. straight PO4 and NO3. The link bellow helped my through my recent outbreak. I basically watched my feeding and dosed NO3 and PO4 to get my levels to 5 to 10 ppm (NO3) and 0.10 to 0.15 ppm (PO4). Started dosing around the middle of last week when the outbreak was heavy and they are pretty much gone at this point with little damage to my tank. Also helps to run carbon since dinos can release toxins.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/293318/

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

That Pink color stuff around rocks ( Bottom right) is that UNDERWATER EPOXY PUTTY - CORALLINE RED ? Just curios .

That was a weird rock I got with plugs and epoxy .. but dosing part A, B and Mag I?ve had really good coralline results

Also right before the storm , I had the Dino?s only surfacing on the corals for some reason , still
Was dozing the NO3 and Dino X but after the storm (we lost power for 2 days) tank temp
Went into the low 60s , thankfully my tank has no fish , and I will see how it looks later today with first day of lights and normal temps

My plan is a tear down next Wednesday New sand, rocks etc and a good cleaning of the tank ..unless this stuff doesn?t come back in the next few days ... I?ve tried everything , honestly nutrient levels are spot on as is water parameters

I?m curious if running T5s vs LEDs vs Halides make a difference in Dino?s ?!? No one ever talks about quality of lighting and problem algae ... I have no idea if even plays a role here but I always hated T5s and tank came with brand new setup so I am just using for now ...

Also I?ve never been a fan of feeding with brine I?ve always used veggie flakes or marine full spectrum pellet so I wonder if that plays a role the uneaten brine ? (I don?t over feed btw)

Last edited:

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
i dont think quality or type of light will have any role with dinos. I have had them with t5 and leds they dont discriminate at all lol. Photo period length will help with controlling them. Dinos to me seem like a opportunistic organism. They seem to do very well in situation where they can out compete other algae/bacteria. I think the biggest problem problem is the way to treat for them is opposite from everything we know with all other algaes/bacteria.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think the biggest problem problem is the way to treat for them is opposite from everything we know with all other algaes/bacteria.

Your probably right as i haven't seen any one x factor from anyone online that has solved this - kinda crazy to think you can have this in your tank or you may never see it ever :scratch:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I never trust that epoxy , years ago when i use that epoxy to make my Aqua Scope i got Dino may be just coincident ?! NOT sure but i try to avoided.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: