Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
ScottsTot is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Tank Size Issue and Water Quality in NYC?

Hi

New here and learning to get ready for my first setup. How's the water quality in NYC? I'm trying to pick out an RODI unit from BRS but don't know which one is sufficient. I'm looking at the 4 stage with the TDS meter but if a 5 stage is needed, I'll go for it.

Also, anyone ever have any issues having big tanks in their apartments? I'm thinking about a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump. If possible, I might go up to a 50 gallon cube with a 20 gallon sump. I'm getting ready for a move soon and I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep my tank if my new place prohibits it.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 PM
www.reeftrends.com
Vendor: Vendor - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (35 (100%)
Reef Trends is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
You will be fine with either size tank. Red Sea Reefer series are nice options too. NYC water quality is generally good. Look at the AquaFX Barricuda with auto shut off and tds built in can even add a booster pump if you think will be needed.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Reef Trends
Aquarium Solution Services
707-666-FISH
Old 03-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
MaraMotts is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
NYC Water is hands down the best imo. Be careful with the move or new apartment in NYC as most buildings will prohibit aquariums of any size. You can always add additional canisters of di to your ro unit if needed.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
IBernE is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I live in an apartment in the fourth floor in Jamaica Queens. I have a 40B with no sump. I really want a bigger tank with a sump but im scared of the weight lol I
Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Mixed answers..hmmm..makes sense since every place is a bit different. I'm stuck on whether or not to start piecing together a setup for a Nuvo 50 or 40B hoping it's not futile lol
Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Reefer Ratings: (42 (100%)
Friends: (15)
evoIX_Reefer is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Depending on how long til your move. Why not wait and just gather equipment for the build? Buy things with best resale value if you need to take a loss.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoIX_Reefer View Post
Depending on how long til your move. Why not wait and just gather equipment for the build? Buy things with best resale value if you need to take a loss.
yea that's what I'm trying right now. I'm collecting things that are going to be useful in any kind of setup....RODI system, ATO, Refractometer, Salt, Water Change Pump and Hose, Buckets, Testing kits, etc.

I want to buy some stuff for a 40 or 50 gallon setup but don't want to take any losses since I'm trying to keep a budget