Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hi MR,

I was recently away for some time and returned to hair algae on the rocks. Before I left I did a 10g water change (60 cube) new filter sock, made sure ATO was filled and everything was good. I returned last night to algae all over the rocks. My question is, whats the best way to fight this? Hermit crabs? Fish? Everything is doing well.

Thanks

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'd do a 20% WC and run some GFO to try and get phosphates and nitrates under control (assuming that they aren't). That should at least help get keep the hair algae from growing too quickly. As far as removal of the existing hair algae that's tougher. I've heard good things about sea hares but I haven't had success with them (only tried once and it didn't live long). Scarlet hermit crabs seem to do a decent job on hair algae and it may be worth getting some super tongan nassarius snails (not specifically for hair algae but for cleaning out any buildup that may now be in your sand bed). Other than that and I know I may have people disagree with me on this, but I usually take a toothbrush to the hair algae. Most of the hair algae sticks to the brush and then I take it the brush out of the tank but the algae off and repeat. Some seem to have issues with this because it may help spread the hair algae but I haven't seen that happen. Last but not least you could try a blackout for a couple of days but I never had much success with those either.

Just some thoughts from my own personal experience.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
appreciate the advice. I was running a skimmer and currently are not. Could be to much light possibly as well. My tang don't each any algae lol. Ill prob just try a massive cleanup crew as I don't have much besides Mexican turbo snails who keep my glass nice and clean. Its not really spreading much but I want to nip the problem before it gets to be to big.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
You tangs aren't eating the algae probably because you feed them so well. Personally, I train all my tangs to get hair algae while they are still in quarantine. Once they develop a taste for it, they adapt well into the tank. Anyway, for you, pick up 50 blue legged hermit crabs online for like $40 and they will clean that up within a week. Don't feed the tank, otherwise they will flip over to your foods.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: