tnc112105

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What TDS do you get on the IN and OUT lines on your TDS meter?

I got a RO unit from BRS a few years ago with the TDS meter pre-installed. It read "0" on the IN and "0" on the out from day one. I checked it again several times after that as well and it read the same every time. One day I accidentally broke off the button the front of the meter and never used it again.

A few months ago I did some upgrades to the RO unit and replaced my membrane. At the time I figured I might as well get a new TDS meter. This meter is ALSO reading "0" TDS IN and "0" TDS OUT.

Is this normal? I'm on Long Island, in Suffolk County.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
What TDS do you get on the IN and OUT lines on your TDS meter?

I got a RO unit from BRS a few years ago with the TDS meter pre-installed. It read "0" on the IN and "0" on the out from day one. I checked it again several times after that as well and it read the same every time. One day I accidentally broke off the button the front of the meter and never used it again.

A few months ago I did some upgrades to the RO unit and replaced my membrane. At the time I figured I might as well get a new TDS meter. This meter is ALSO reading "0" TDS IN and "0" TDS OUT.

Is this normal? I'm on Long Island, in Suffolk County.

So the reading you are looking at on the TDS meter is showing an "IN" reading right after the RO membrane and right before the DI resin. The "OUT" is after the DI resin.

The inline TDS meter is to help monitor the life of your DI resin and RO membranes. It is not meant to give you a reading of your tap water. If you want a tap water reading you will need to get a handheld.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
So the TDS readings that members are posting here are from handheld meters?

Yes, or potentially an inline meter that was placed before the sediment filter, but that would be pretty useless to monitor.

The inline TDS meters that come with the BRS units are to monitor the life of the RO membrane looking at the "IN" and monitoring the DI resin by looking at the "OUT"

You should change your RO membrane when your "IN" number starts creeping up from your usual number. For some people that usual number can be 0 so you would want to change out your membrane when it starts creeping up to like 2-3. Basically the longer you wait, the more DI resin you will burn through. You can potentially change it when you see a 1 on the TDS meter, but sometimes higher numbers can be temporary after the unit was sitting off for a little while. Make sure to look at the numbers after you have the unit running for at least 10 minutes.

As for the DI resin, that you monitor with the "OUT" TDS reading. That should ALWAYS read 0. If you see it reading >0 after your unit has been running for more than 10 minutes, then you should change your DI resin.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: