Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Just added my first fish into the main tank. Added a beautiful clownfish pair that I received from a fellow member on here. The tank is freshly cycled. Now considering add a clean up crew. Too be honest as much as I enjoy hermit crabs, I'm considering a hermit crab free collection, since they usually kill snails and constantly need shells. So aiming for hermit crab free zone, but other crabs are welcomed. Any tips on the best Clean Up Crew additions?

So far I'm thinking:

1-Cleaner Shrimp (had one, they are constantly eating everything that touches the floor, as well as they are great looking and beneficial!)
5-Banded Trochus Snails (Heard they are the best for algae control, stay upright as well as thrive in the temperatures we normally provide)
1- Emerald Crab (In general heard great things about them, them eatting algae as well as having some funny personality.)

Should I add more of any of the listed inverts? As well as what other kinds of inverts should I add. Was looking to see what good inverts for the sand, but unsure which are the best.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Heard sand sifting stars are sometimes difficult to keep, however my set up I think isn't fit for a sand sifter starfish, not room room when they get bigger.

Nas snails as well as fighter counters should be best for me. However was doing some research and apparently not all Nass snails are great, trying to stick with the best. Anyone know?

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hermits, Snails, and cleaner shrimps (blood or cleaner) as well as a wrasse for parasite control is what I'm using, did two cleanup crew packs a month apart to really acclimate them and they are doing great, matter of fact one of my hermits found a crazy weird shell ive never seen somewhere and switch the other night! :biggrin:

The star can knock over corals etc so ive stayed away so far, also tried a goby and they cause sandstorms all the time, no more of them for me -

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have Turbo and Trochus snails to take care of the algae on the rocks and glass. Nassarius snails, Cleaner and Fire shrimp to eat food the fish miss. Two Conch snails and a Rainford Goby to keep the sand clean. The Rainford Goby sifts the sand all day without making a mess, stays low to the sand when sifting so it doesn't blow around.

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think that for now, you should wait a little bit until you have some algae growing in your tank (unless you have it already). If not they may not have anything to eat. You only have two fish right now and you may not be feeding enough for some fish food to drop to the sand and rocks for others to eat. Your new clean up crew will also compete with the filtration system for food.

Nessarius snails are a great choice to eat food that lands on the sand since other snails generally stay on the rocks and don't really venture out to the sand. They also help prevent gas pockets inside your sand if its somewhat deep. They wont eat algae though.
Cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp are very nice to look at and great at eating uneaten fish food also. Their downside is that if you ever try to feed corals, they will steal the food right out of the corals mouth, its very frustrating. I used to give mine a piece of DIY fish food (shrimp/fish) to keep him busy while I fed the corals. If you don't plan to feed corals then it obviously wont be an issue but I do. He now passed and I don't plan on getting another one because of that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: