grsfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hi. I wanted to see what people are doing to keep their tanks from overheating besides a chiller and ac in the home. I was reading about people putting fans with the sump under the tank to blow out the warm air from the cabinet or fans aimed at the top of the display tank (clip on fans)

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
your best bet is to point a power head at the surface of the tank and point a fan at the top of the tank. What this does is increase evaporation and thus cool the tank. You will need to top off the tank more and probably run a dehumidifier at least to allow the room air to continue sucking the water out of the tank.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
My controller turns on fans when the temperature rises to 79.8. Keeps it maintained.

I also have a smart AC unit in window next to the tank, when the living room gets to hot, it will kick on. The Best purchase last year was that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
With or without a tank I like the house cool in summer. So a/c goes on and off to keep the house at least 72 deg.
also have a bathroom exhaust fan mounted in stand that comes on via controller if need be. Which rarely happens.
Good planning involves limiting the amount of pumps, their size, and their efficiency in terms of heat to gph ratio. To me that?s the biggest factor. Have seen so many tanks go down 3+ deg from simply replacing a mag drive with an eheim

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
It will cost a little more but if you buy the right equipment the tank will not over heat. My tank is currently not using any chiller or fans and my rooms gets very hot the tank stays under 81 degrees in the summer. Leds, Vortechs and DC return pump and you will be fine. With my old tank i had fans blowing on the top once it hit a certain temp they would kick on via the apex which worked great but the evaporation was a pain to keep up with filling my ato every few days.

grsfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My temperature is pretty consistent most of the year. I have an air conditioner set up during the summer which usually keeps it under control but when we are at work we usually keep it a little warmer in the house. For people that use fans where do you place them

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did the AC unit thing one summer and it was annoying, and fans couldn't keep up with the rising temps - unless the ac was running a long time and consistently esp during a heat wave than it would help but that's money out the window in electricity literally plus always having to worry about the tank temp and when or if the ac is kicking on was annoying

Now our tank is in a bottom level space where its naturally cool and still the tank gets above 79 at times - thank god for the chiller best investment for the tank, and unless i hear it go on i would never even know it was doing its job! One less thing to worry about this summer :biggrin:

PS - 1000th post!!! :grouphug:

Last edited:

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
I got a fan over the tank with the Pump facing towards the water surface also to get a shimmer from the MH. Also have a smart AC just turns out and keeps my room at 68-70f at all times. Just put in the AC tuesday for this warm weather.

XclusiveReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Other than fans, I open my cabinet doors and use a big fan blowing at the sump. I also use frozen RODI water bottles, I place them in the sump and it will lower the temp. Or you can freeze some backs of RODI water and place the bangs in the tank..

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a fan to blow over the water surface to cool it down. If the water temp reaches 80 the controller turns on the fan over the tank. For aesthetic reasons I don't keep the fan over the tank, I only put it there when I know it's going to be a hot day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: