Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
juan71 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
newbie here

hi all reefers, i just got a reef tank set up 2 weeks ago,only rock and sand there now.local pet store check the water for me,and they said water was ok for corals and fishes,want to know what should be good to start with that isnt too hard to keep. thanks a lot!
Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Wilson416 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
As far as my knowledge 2 weeks is to early for a tank that’s not fully cycled yet fish really only 2-3 till your cycle done
Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Wilson416 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
What pet store was that if you don’t mind
Old 05-09-2018, 03:17 PM
CJRIZZOTTI
View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Don't do it wait a little longer slow and steady is the key

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Mark2480 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Welcome to MR.
+1 on both above.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
rsinanan415 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
+1 on waiting. Having done both quick and slow set up I would definitely take the time to wait, I was much happier with the results
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM
jd371 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Yes, 2 weeks isn't enough. I cycled my tank with pure ammonia to make it go quicker and it still took over 2 weeks to be fully cycled. If you think your tank is cycled and want to see some life in there add some CUC first. I would wait another week or two before adding any fish and some corals.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 PM
mrdobie is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I waited over 6 weeks before adding any fish. Then another 6 months to add coral. Only bad things happen fast good thing take time. Be paitiant and take your time...
Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 PM
CJRIZZOTTI
View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Remember pet stores are a business that will just try n push their products on you but id wait at least 4 weeks minimum then add a clownfish or something small to help build up the bacteria and keep the cycle going and as always test test test! This is a patient hobby yes their are tips and tricks to help speed things up here and there but the best way is letting nature take its course if you really feel like your set to start adding stuff id invest in copepods and let them flourish for a couple weeks and add a little phyto every couple days great for any saltwater tank and if you get a good population you can get mandarin dragnets and other blennies without the worry of them dying and as always study everything before buying

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 11:32 AM
juan71 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
thanks to all the reefers here! i end up buy a frag of pampam xenia to try yesterday, luckily it is still alive this morning. gotta wait little now,till this frag doing good,them i will buy more frags soon. thanks again everybody here.