Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wife and I are interested in taking up the entire rug in the room we have the fish tank, problem is I have worked so hard to get the tank to where it is today I'm worried about temporarily moving the tank - so whats the best way to do it?

Ive heard to drain about 90% of it into a huge bucket etc move the tank than pump back in but what about the livestock and corals?

Anyway to do it where you don't have to drain tank? like jack the tank up and move :biggrin:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I can't help but Can you post pic? A suggestion would be to cut around it. I know you rather remove the rug

Rating - 100%
36   0   1
If it has the sump i would drain the the sump and about half the tank. Cut around the stand at least 3 feet. Remove the rest of the rug and then drag a bit. Unless you want to build a dolly and if you have enough hands lift it on to the dolly. But it would have to be less than half full to be able to lift it then just store the water with a pump in a brute container.

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max 250 in which I bought a professional made stand. It?s a 65 gallon tank. I had to switch out stands and decided to relocate in same room. You WILL be emptying the tank completely. Your crazy if you think you can lift the tank with even sand in it. I had to completely empty my tank. I used one 45 gallon tub and 8 5 gallon buckets. It wasn?t bad, but I was nervous because the water going back in the tank was brown even tho it was clear water going into buckets. In the end everything survived. I did this alone and had one guy help me lift and relocate tank.

You should definitely REPLACE the stock stand it you have a Red Sea 250. It?s fake wood and if it gets wet it crumbles! Garbage and I?d never trust my tank long term on it. I used my stock stand for 6 months and I noticed it pealing APART in the back.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max 250 in which I bought a professional made stand. It?s a 65 gallon tank. I had to switch out stands and decided to relocate in same room. You WILL be emptying the tank completely. Your crazy if you think you can lift the tank with even sand in it. I had to completely empty my tank. I used one 45 gallon tub and 8 5 gallon buckets. It wasn?t bad, but I was nervous because the water going back in the tank was brown even tho it was clear water going into buckets. In the end everything survived. I did this alone and had one guy help me lift and relocate tank.

You should definitely REPLACE the stock stand it you have a Red Sea 250. It?s fake wood and if it gets wet it crumbles! Garbage and I?d never trust my tank long term on it. I used my stock stand for 6 months and I noticed it pealing APART in the back.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, some people may not realize Red Sea made two different gererations of the Max 250 - the first generation being the cheaper made one how I know this is my LFS just got one in from a customer trying to sell and its literally the same tank above but everything else is completely different - the stand/cabinet is like this formica style flat black and is peeling and chipping all over the corners top and bottom, and the doors feel weak, and the connections and wiring with buttons are all placed differently ...

The second generation has a much more solid stand with different design layout for doors and wiring and connections are positioned in better areas - since i am the second owner this tank has been running well over a year between the two of us and i see no evidence of wood rot, warp, chipping or peeling , in fact the doors are very strong !

I will take your advice about draining although if i can slide it somehow and move it without draining that would be amazing :letitallo

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: