Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Jebao wp-40s

Hey, was wondering if anyone else used these, they're cheap but work well, have a good controller and are totally silent - trouble with them seems to be lasting.

I've got 3 that don't work, 2 of them don't spin at all when plugged in, cleaned them off with vinegar and all and nothing doing, the 3rd has a different issue, the controller is lit up until it's plugged into the wavemaker wire, then lights out, not sure if there's a solution for these 2 issues or maybe it's time to invest in American brands, I've been thinking between vortech and gyre unless someones got an idea how to patch these

Any insight is appreciated
Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
This is a major problem with them, which I think has to do with the motors going. I wouldn't waste any time on them and in the end it's better to spend the money on a Vortech, Gyre, or a Tunze, which you can usually pick up used on ebay for a good price.

The Light at the end of the Tunnel has Been turned off due to Budget Cuts.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Send a Private Message
I had a problem with mine locking up at lower speeds. Heard about replacing those ceramic bushings to stop the problem. I cut some bushings out of RODI tubing and used those instead of the ceramic and haven't had them lock up since. Three years now and no problems. What really kills these pumps quickly is having an on and off program on them, I have a ramp up and down program on them so they never shut off, besides for feeding.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Send a Private Message
On and off is a definite killer for this particular brand.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 AM
Send a Private Message
They break/die after 6 months to a year. Owned two of this brand and both are thrown out. My eco-techs running strong for 6 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk