Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 01:21 AM
Reefer Ratings: (91 (96%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
Question about dosing

Question when does Alk drop with the lights on or off and will dosing the Alk solution during the day will it raise my Alk when it drops?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Alkalinity is not effected by day / night lighting schedules, PH is what swings. PH will rise when lights are on because photosynthetic plants / algae consume co2 and produce oxygen increasing PH. At night there isnt any lighting to aid in photosynthesis so oxygen levels drop and thus decreases PH. That said dosing alkalinity to proper levels can give you a bump in your PH levels. If alkalinity is already at proper levels, a refugium on a reverse lighting schedule will help to mitigate the nightly swings.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 AM
Reefer Ratings: (91 (96%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
PH swings

Thanks for the clarification now I understand. I thought it was Alkalinity that was affected. I do run a refugium in reverse light cycle but my PH does drop at night. Will dosing my Alk additive at night instead of day help or makes no difference?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
if you dose alk it is suppose to help buffer PH. although it depends on which alk you dose.

Read this it may help clear things up

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/so...da-ash.292690/