Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Question about NOPOX

Anyone who uses this product I have a few questions how to use it. As of now I am running biopellet and gfo reactors where No3 is 2ppm and Po4 is 0. I started dosing nopox one week ago 2ml every day for a 65 gallon tank. Can I stop using biopellet and gfo all together right away or should decrease each one ? Will nopox keep my levels as they are now or I will have to readjust dosing once pellets and gfo are discontinued?

Thank you.

First Tank

Jack's JBJ 28G
Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Reefer Ratings: (37 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Slow

I would cut the gfo and bio pellets slowly and watch your levels. Slowly increase your nopox dosage as u cut the other two. Until u have completely removed them and your levels stay the same. Keep an eye on your protein skimmer as I have found nopox to increase the bubbles hence making for a wetter skim.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Im BaAaAcK
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Send a Private Message
I love Nopox since starting have seen a dramatic decrease in diatoms on sandbed and skimmer skimming better (wouldn't necessarily say wetter) but increases production def!!

Old 06-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIPERVIPER View Post
I would cut the gfo and bio pellets slowly and watch your levels. Slowly increase your nopox dosage as u cut the other two. Until u have completely removed them and your levels stay the same. Keep an eye on your protein skimmer as I have found nopox to increase the bubbles hence making for a wetter skim.
So should I just remove some biopellets from the reactor and put half the amount of gfo for now ?

First Tank

Jack's JBJ 28G
Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (67 (99%)
Friends: (60)
Send a Private Message
+1 on Slow.
Pro and Cons.

Bio-Pellets , works great ( i refer most to NPX made in Holland) , most of ppl. wont use the right way , wrong reactor, wrong flow, wrong B.P. etc. Hard to control , just like Chaetto , hard to know how much to add or remove , in small tanks is NOT easy to control , if you happy , stay with B.P. both are source of Carbon, GFO you will use in both ways.
NOPOX is also source of Carbon ,This is the rough recipe:

"Mix one part vinegar to one half part vodka and one half part water. If you want to get even closer, add a little more vodka and a little less water." C/P

NOPOX is much easy to control, a way easy compare to B.P. but ......density of Bacteria will be much high in main tank , some "Fancy" SPS Corals wont like it.
Both way , you need GOOD Protein Skimmer.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Send a Private Message
Thank you for the advice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
+1 on Slow.
Pro and Cons.

Bio-Pellets , works great ( i refer most to NPX made in Holland) , most of ppl. wont use the right way , wrong reactor, wrong flow, wrong B.P. etc. Hard to control , just like Chaetto , hard to know how much to add or remove , in small tanks is NOT easy to control , if you happy , stay with B.P. both are source of Carbon, GFO you will use in both ways.
NOPOX is also source of Carbon ,This is the rough recipe:

"Mix one part vinegar to one half part vodka and one half part water. If you want to get even closer, add a little more vodka and a little less water." C/P

NOPOX is much easy to control, a way easy compare to B.P. but ......density of Bacteria will be much high in main tank , some "Fancy" SPS Corals wont like it.
Both way , you need GOOD Protein Skimmer.

First Tank

Jack's JBJ 28G