nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
So I'm looking to buy my first real reef controller and wanted feedback on what you would go with IF you've actually used it.

It's going to be a K.I.S.S. 35g cube SPS reef.

The details:

35g Tank
3 Channel Doser
2 X Gyre Flow pumps
2 X AI Vega
Barebottom
Tonga branch ONLY aquascape
BH-2000 RO Skimmer
150 watt Heater
Bi-weekly Water changes (25% ~ 10g)

Do I need a controller with this setup? If you think so, what do you recommend?

Best,
Kris

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I've used reef keeper. apex jr. GHL p4. (Cerebra for about a day). Im kinda equipment junkie.

I absolutely love my P4, so solid.

The apex interface is a bit easier to use than ghl.

Apex is a great company and good customer service.

Do any of us need a controller? No.

Since my downgrade i just kept mine. (Cost more than tank at this point..hahaha),
It does make life much easier, safer, and enjoyable with one vs. Without, especially when various equipment are compatible with the chosen controller.

It can......take you to the opposite side of KISS reefing if you let it. I just set them up and forget it at this point.

I mainly use for emergency control for my tank after a major flood, multiple sensors etc...
Feeding, pump control.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use the Apex to full ability, but I am very happy with its, performance and interface thus far and happy to know that when I upgrade to a larger system I have room to grow with the addition of controllability of equipment ect. Only downside is the cost. Im sure there are less costly options like the Apex jr or competing brands. That said Apex coming out with the Trident would pretty much tilt the scale in their direction.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Just to get started?! Lol! You?re an OG. You started twelve to fifteen years ago, at least.

It?s seriosuly my favorite piece of equipment. It has a ton of features not present on the older models. The power monitoring feature perhaps being the best and most useful.

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just apply reef math. $800 on a piece of equipment for a 35 gallon tank....
$800 / 35gal = $22.85 per gal. Tough call.
$800 / 300gal = $2.66 per gallon thats almost a 1,000% discount tough to say no.
Im no expert but numbers dont lie.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Just apply reef math. $800 on a piece of equipment for a 35 gallon tank....
$800 / 35gal = $22.85 per gal. Tough call.
$800 / 300gal = $2.66 per gallon thats almost a 1,000% discount tough to say no.
Im no expert but numbers dont lie.
Not including livestock..... well worh the $$

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: